Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

pelvic pain

I'm 20 years old. At the beginning of this fall, i began experiencing strange pelvic pain (right around my ovaries, fluctuating between both sides). i went to both my general physician and a gynecologist (i had never been to one before). my physician ran a general blood test (came back normal except for low iron.. not surprising, from a college diet), but didnt have many suggestions for the pain. the gyn did a pap smear and trans vaginal ultrasound (i believe that's what it's called?). nothing too strange showed up, except that my ovaries were enlarged. the doc said the pain would probably go away on its own, and said to reschedule for another ultrasound in a few months.

the pain did subside for about a month, but now it has returned. my second ultrasound is about 3 weeks away. the pain is not extremely severe or debilitating, but pretty much constant and worrisome. it does not seem to be related to my menstrual cycle, because it lasted for about 2 months the first time, and starts at random times (beginning of my cycle, end, etc.) my periods have always been late/irregular for my entire life. i've also been feeling tired lately and not much of an appetite-- possibly as a result of me stressing out about the pain?

any suggestions would be helpful-- perhaps info on tests i should request or specific questions to ask. thanks so much!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
158939 tn?1274915197
It also sounds like you may have poly cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) which is a painful condition where your ovaries form cysts (internal and external to your ovaries).  

I was plagued with this for over 20 years and after multiple surgeries I finally had to just have my ovaries out (10 years apart).  Find a good OB/GYN because PCOS can be treated (if properly diagnosed) with birth control pills and Metformin (glucophage) which is a diabetic drug.

It's worth checking out.
Helpful - 0
167998 tn?1208907144
Your story sounds identical to mine.  I went to the doctor complaining of pelvic pain and my primary recommended several ultrasounds all of which did not yield much of anything.  I ended up seeing a gynecologist who suggested some diagnostic testing with a scope. Fortunately, but unfortunately he found an endometrioma in my left ovary, a couple of fibroids, endometriosis, and scar tissue.  I say fortunately but unfortunately because I ended up having major surgery.  I say fortunately, because I found out exactly what the problems and I was able to take care of it before my I began having problems with my right ovary.  

I was upset in the beginning because I felt my primary doctor and radiologist should have seen something. Yet I figure instead of harping on what they didn't find, I am appreciative I was eventually able to find out what the problem was.

You might want to talk to your doctor about the diagnostic scope testing.  (I'm not sure exactly what it's called)

Sorry this kind of lengthy, but good luck!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.