Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Canadian Health Care....Free!!!.....if you can find it

It's kind of like winning one of those great vacations or lottery except when they get you there you're actually on a desert island not the Caribbean.Sounds great but at what price!
Well ladies I gotta tell you this one. I came very close to losing my life last week. I had my surgery on 28/11 and on 4/12 came down with very bad flu/cold. Shakes,fever,coughing all with my stitches(although the smaller lap).On Wed night (6/12) couldn't catch my breath(have been known to be ashmatic).Hubby rushed me to Emerg where low and behold they actually took me right away and gave me 3 ventalin masks and oxygen.SEnt me home.Next day same thing(although not as severe)but still having chest pains and can't take full breaths.THis time they take me in(I can't speak because breathing is to hard)take my vitals and tell me to go wait in the waiting room with like 100 other people.I say(through batted breath)"I need help,I can't breathe".AT this point dr turns to nurse who has just told me to sit down and wait and says 'is she ok?" NUrse says to dr "oh don't listen to her,she THINKS SHE CANT BREATHE but all her vitals are ok she's just anxious!!!!!Can you believe it after being in the eR until 1am and having 3masks the night before this ***** said that! So best part is dr says 'oh ok' and leaves me in waiting room. End result after no sleep for 3 days,pain fronm surgery and breathing got a little better just left!!!!!!!!I am thinking about writing to the federal government because I am so mad but I'm still sick so I'll sit on it till i'm a bit better...-there is no health care in Canada
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
171927 tn?1294023723
Hi,

Windsor is not the way, this is where I live. You can check my post in the last "Canadian Health Care...Free!!! if you can find it" thread. Though, if you live in Michigan, it might make sense for you to try the Canadian Health Care System.

As funny as it sounds, I think you have to be lucky. Lucky enough to get a doctor that is receptive, intelligent and not too overworked. Windsor is struggling to keep up, and it's not fair for the Doctors, nurses or the patients. The lack of Doctors in Ontario is really contributing to the crisis from a perspective of stress. My personal experience is that not many of the health care professionals here have the time or patience to deal w/ the volume of sick folks. Many have forgotten why they got into the field because they are overburdened with too many patients.

You should always check your options, though. If you don't feel well, it can be a battle, but it's important to find the cause. I feel sorry for this country. It makes me sad that so many people are dealing with illness and the resources, energy add infinitum just aren't there. I did have more luck in Toronto, actually. I took a five hr. train ride to try my luck at Women's College Hospital, after months of not seeing a gyn here. I did get a few results, and confirmation of a complex cyst. At this point and w/ the insane wait, I'm trying to do the best I can. If I had the money, I would probably be trying my luck in Michigan, as well.

I really hope things change in the near future. THis has been a real growing experience. I suppose I had a naive idea of what health care is/was in this country. I'm twenty-five and have been relatively healthy all my life. Now, I'm realizing the hard way that things aren't that easy or simple. I feel like I've aged ten years in three months.

Best of luck and take care,
OOna

Helpful - 0
Hmmm..well I can tell you that our health care is free unlike yours which if you don't have insurance or money you're not going to get it very quickly. I don't know what wait times are in windsor but maybe it's better as it's a much smaller community(city) then Toronto. I do believe the doc's here are great it's just that there is not enough to go around. I would make some phone calls or get the BF to make some. Test the water and see how fast you could be seen. My Doctors Mt.Sinai in TOronto were amazing..in fact my scar is virtually undetectable.Good LUck
<Mary
Helpful - 0
148354 tn?1211233906
I'm so sorry to hear what your going through! I was getting ready to move to Windsor Cananda to my boyfriend in hope of finding out what in heck is still going on with me,he assured me that their health care is the best and if I come there they would get to bottom of whatever is going on! after reading your post I'm having second doubts! I'm in Michigan and windsor is only 1 1/2 hr drive from me,well heck am I better off staying put here or going there? ugh!
      I hope you have a speedy recovery and start to feel better,your in my prayers! Happy Holidays (:
                             Makita
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.