Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

abnormal vaginal bleeding

I was diagnosed of borderline ovarian cancer earlier this year. Had a couple surgeries and removed right ovary and tube. I started to have vaginal bleeding since Monday and it's been on for 4 days now. it's not heavy, but sometimes pink, sometimes red. Has anyone experience this? I had a Pap Smear on Oct and everything was normal. My gynecologist said it's ok but I'm still worried. Please help. Thanks.
sophie
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I did not have any abnormal bleeding during the first three months, rather it started on the fourth month.
Helpful - 0
It could definately be breakthrough... I was on three different types of hormones over the past year, and had mild breakthrough with one, a full period on another, and a light period on the third every day for over three months. It sucked.
So breakthrough is a definate possibility. They claim that you need to be on the pills for at least three months before they can stop completely.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Hi Dian. things here are so slow and disappointing. If you've been following Tybear's posts, my onc is the same one she has at Sunnybrook Hospital. I hope I can find a good doctor once I get to Seattle.
sophie
Helpful - 0
Hi Pam
Thank you for your reply. Well, i'm in Canada and after the surgery my gyn/onc refused to see me anymore and told me to follow up with my ob/gyn or family doctor. I was shocked, angry to hear that, but can't change it. I have a 15 months old son, I need to do everything possible to make sure I am taking the best medical attention possible out there. Actually I'm moving to Seattle WA on Jan. Does anyone know of a good gyn/onc in Seattle area? Thanks a lot.
Regards,
sophie

Helpful - 0
Hi Sophie, Wow, I would be angry too if my gyn/onc said that.  Being borderline OC you would think they would want to monitor you closely.  Hopefully when you move to the US you can find the doctor you need.  I wish you well with that.  It's hard to find one.  Ask around when you get there.

I agree with nyc lady about the bleeding.  If your last surgery was in May I am assuming you've had a period since then? I'd call the doctor though, to be sure.  I've just gone 43 days between periods.  I'm 4 weeks post op. so I was wondering when it would happen.

Take care,
Lori
Helpful - 0
Thanks Lori. Yes, my periods have been regular since my surgery in May. I also went to see my family doctor yesterday. He said it's probably related to stress and hormone. I did some research on the internet and found out that abnormal vaginal bleeding can be caused by various reasons including hormone/stress, birth control pills, endometriosis and worst case cancer. I hope my doctor is right that it's caused by stress as i'm busy preparing for my move to Seattle. My next follow up ultrasound happends to be next Monday, hopefully that'll solve the puzzle.
sophie
Helpful - 0
Hey there kiddo....I don't buy the stress story....I would imagine it is break through bleeding but wish you would get in for tests....at least an ultrasound.....if it was me I would insist and get it done right away just to calm me down....if you were my daughter I would drag you in and talk to the idiot onc myself!
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
155056 tn?1333638688
Sophie,

I would think it is "break thru" bleeding from being on the pill and not related to the ovary that has been removed.  If you are not comfortable, then make an appointment to see your doctor.  I hope that you are seen by a GYN/ONC after a diagnosis of Borderline OvCa.....these doctors have more training in the field then regular GYN's.

Good luck.

Pam
Helpful - 0
I agree with all the above - don't take stress as an excuse.  It probably is breakthrough with the BC pills - hey three lay people have read your symtoms and have come to an agreement on this.

I would say that with borderline cancer you need monitoring for the rest of your life - probably on a yearly basis.  When you move to Seattle, tell your new doctor and ask for this.

Good luck with the move and take care.
Helpful - 0
I agree that the bleeding could be stress. I had a large tumor and my right ovary and tube removed a year ago in Oct. and definitely had cancer. I am 27 years old and still have my left ovary, but have had problems with cysts on it since my surgery. I also have a son who will be 18 months old next week. I was on the pill for awhile, but am now on my third cycle off of it just to see if it would make a difference. My periods have been a little irregular since going off of the pill, but I never had breakthrough bleeding when I was on it and had been on it for more than 3 cycles. I never experienced abnormal bleeding from a cyst, either. I also have been going to my OBGYN for follow-up because all of the gyn/onc are so far away from where I live, plus he is very cautious with me and takes every complaint I have very seriously. Obviously, a gyn/onc close to where I live would be the best senario, but it hasn't turned out too badly the way it is. When my problems look like they are getting serious (i.e. raised tumor markers or cyst becoming large), I refer to a gyn/onc. I do hope, though, that you are able to find a good gyn/onc once you move to the States. Best of luck to you......:)
Helpful - 0
Oh, I forgot one other thing....my sister-in-law, who has never really had any gyn problems had abnormal vaginal bleeding like that and it was just that the dosage of her bc pills was not strong enough. Once she got on a stronger dosage, it stopped. It could be something related to that, but I'm glad you're having an US anyway. I know the waiting is tough, but hopefully you will know very soon.....
Helpful - 0
Hi, thank you all for your responses. I hope it's nothing serious, not cancer related nor does it require more surgery. God bless me and all of you.
sophie
Helpful - 0
Hi
I had my first surgery on March, second on May. I'm 32 years old. It's between my normal periods. I still have my left ovary and I've been on birth control pills.
Helpful - 0
Hi Sophie, When were your surgeries? Do you still have your left ovary? Are you menopausal? Is this a normal period? It's hard to say without a little more information. Sorry.

Lori
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.