Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ground glass appearance in chest Ctscan.

After spot was seen on the right upper lobe of lung I had MRI, and petscan and finally bronchoscopy which found toxic mold. Now I take Ctscan every few months to check the spot, It is stable but last Ctscan found ground glass appearance in a nearby area. I am coughing but not having breathing problems.  I will see the Dr. next week, but he doesn't seem to give me answers.This has been going on for a year and a half.On looking this up find all kinds of answers..what is the definitive test to see what this is?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, ground glass appearance in ct scan was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, ground glass appearance was started.
Helpful - 0
Only description doesnot help.Better if actual ct is depicted for acomment
Helpful - 0
251132 tn?1198078822
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
A lung biopsy is the definitive test to see what this is.  The "ground glass appearance" makes it more urgent to know for sure what this is.  Depending on the location of the spot, it might be possible to do a video assisted thoracic surgery (VATS).  This is a minimally invasive procedure in which the lung and surrounding tissues are examined through a scope with a small video camera at one end of a flexible tube.  This scope is placed through a small incision between the ribs into the chest.  During this procedure tiny pieces of lung tissue can be taken for further testing.  This is called a lung biopsy.

The "toxic mold" could be the primary problem.  It could also be an opportunistic infection that is superimposed on some other lung problem.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Respiratory Disorders Forum

Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.