Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Very Bad Coughing Fits

I seem to be having a bout of Bronchitis. This is the third time in the past five years. Just before this occurrence I quit smoking.

The big difference this time I get into a coughing fit that I cannot stop. I'm sitting down and lean forward only to get a rush of pressure to my head, get dizzy and feel a buzzing wave or rush through my head. The first time this happened I was in a car (as a passenger) when I tried to relax from coughing the next thing I knew was my friends shaking me and telling me I must have passed out(my eyes rolled back and i was biting down on my tounge). I remember the time frame and what I was doing but not what was going on around me. This has now occurred 3 other times when I could not suppress the cough.

Can someone pass out from a coughing fit?
Is it akin to hyperventilation?

Thank You

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Violent Coughing was started.
Helpful - 0
Hi Nick,

I have had the same exact thing happen to me. Did you ever find out what was going on? I am getting greatly concerned. Two weekends ago, I passed out in the bathroom of a book store. Twice last night I almost passed out. How you described what was going on with you is exactly what is going on with me. I cough and half the time I can just stop. I go into a fit. I may not get dizzy with every cough but I do with at least 50% of them. I get the rush of pressure to my head also.

NJC...what is a vagal reflex?

Thanks a lot
Knowledgephile...
Helpful - 0
251132 tn?1198078822
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It is not so rare to have this occur with violent coughing episodes.  It is more like a "vagal reflex" than a hyperventilation episode.  If you are experiencing this type of reaction, I would suggest speaking with your physician about this.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Respiratory Disorders Forum

Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.