Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Recurrent genital HSV-1

Dear Dr. H,

Thank you very much for the prompt response to my previous posting. As you now know it apppears I passed on HSV-1 oral to genital to my partner. She had her first genital lesion around 8/8-8/11/05 and began treatment with Valtrex 1gm twice a day on 8/12 for 10 days. Cultures later confirmed HSV-1 genitally.  Her 10 day course of valtrex stoped on 8/21. Yesterday, on 8/26 she developed a recurrent breakout genitally. She has been quite stressed about this and has not been able to sleep well so I am sure her immune system is not at it's strongest.

I am concerned that she has developed another breakout so soon after the first and I wanted to ask if this is common initially until a full antibody response develops to keep recurrrences few and far between (as you quoted 1-2 in the next 2 years and then less and less frequent if not absent after 3-4 years). Have you seen this type of genital HSV-1 behavior with two back-to-back episodes? What do you suspect is happening and what do you recommend she shoud do outside of taking Valtrex again (additional lab work, etc...she was negative for HIV, other STD's and HSV-2 as was I)?

Thank you in advance!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, recurent outbreak was started.
Helpful - 0
Thank you! I am not doing the prescribing. She is seeing her own OB/Gyn doctor, but I advised her to go to 1gm Valcyclovir twice daily again for another ten days. She will see her own doctor soon again and probably send some blood foor serology.

Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The first episode of genital herpes, whether HSV-1 or -2, can have a stuttering course with waxing and waning of lesions over 3-6 weeks.  The first "recurrence" probably is just continuation of the initial infection.  She should speak with her provider about getting back onto valacyclovir (or maybe you are doing the prescribing?).  I suggest a higher than usual dose, such as 1.0 g twice daily. HSV-1 is not quite as sensitive to antiherpetic therpy as HSV-2.  In any case, this course doesn't necessarily predict that your partner will have frequent symptomatic recurrences.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.