Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Worried Sick - Red Bump

Hello,

I had a diagnosis of HPV two years ago. Abnormal Pap - No dysplasia. I did have 1 bump on my inner vagina which I used Aldara on, the skin turned black and it went away. I also had 1 red bump    that was on my labia and that went away after about 1.5 weeks with no treatment. Both of these symptoms showed up around 6 weeks after I was with that guy. My pap smear has been abnormal every since. I have had no other symptoms except the one below.

The big problem I am having is that I have this weird itching stabbing pain which occurs in various parts of my vagina all day. It has persisted for two years now. I may have about 5-10 pain feelings per day. it comes and goes. A pain will come and I press on it or itch it and then it goes away. The level of pain is about a 3 on a scale of 1-10.  Sometimes I just press on it and it goes away. Sometimes it is just itchy and there is no pain. I have it 365 days per year and sometimes it is better and sometimes it is not. I remember only two days this year that I did not have a reminder of this problem. It is not located to one vaginal area but persists in about 5 areas around the inner vagina on both the right and left hand side. Sometimes it gets worst during my period.

The only other thing is that I tried to self-treat myself early on when I received the diagnosis two years ago. I followed a treatment that required me to file my skin on the vagina and then put Vitamin E on the skin. I used to file it really hard until it bled almost every other day. I also tried to kill skin cells myself by buying a wart remover OTC. I used the Freezing wart remover myself on probably most of the 5 areas that are bothering me now.

I know this sounds stupid. I am so afraid I have herpes.

Can you please give me some clarity as to what you think it is?

Thank you.

6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, im scared and looking for some anwers was started.
Helpful - 0
Actually I think it is anxiety related. I was feeling tired this week and today I feel better because I slept almost 10 hours.

I did do the freezing on myself a few times..maybe about 3x's on separate occasions so I bet I did some damage myself. It says not to do this stuff..but of course I didn't listen. I have an appt. in 2 weeks.
Helpful - 0
79258 tn?1190630410
Nothing about what you describe sounds at all like herpes. However, something about the fact that the pain stops when you press on it makes me think it could be muscle spasms. Does that sound possible? Is the pain superficial, or deep? And what does your doctor say about this pain?
Helpful - 0
yoy
I am not the doctor but filing and freezing (self-treatment) do not sound good.  I doubt you have herpes.  YOu may have caused some damage that is causing the pain you describe.  Not an STD, but seek health care.
Helpful - 0
By the way...I was tested for HIV/Syphillis, Chly, etc.- negative.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
As you describe it, neither the nature of the pain nor its pattern and timing suggest herpes or any other STD.  Herpes-related pain would be quite superficial, maybe tingly; generally would be associated with specific herpes lesions (sores); and would be expected to occur for a few days periodically, such as every few weeks, with no pain or discomfort at all between outbreaks.  (Of course, it is conceivable you have a genital HSV infection, because almost 25% of the population is infected with HSV-2, mostly without typical herpes symptoms.  But even if a blood test were positive, I would not necessarily conclude it is the cause of your symptoms.)

Most likely the pain and your genital warts--or whatever is causing the bumps you describe--are entirely separate problems.  However, I suppose it is possible the pain could be related to anxiety over your other genital symptoms, fear of herpes, etc; Monkeyflower's suggestion (below) about muscle spasm might make sense as an anxiety-related symptom.  In any case, after 2 years, it is definitely time to stop self-treating your presumed recurrent genital warts.

See a health care provider about both problems.  You might delay scheduling an appointment until a few weeks have gone by without self-treating the bumps; otherwise an accurate visual diagnosis likely will be difficult.  With your symptoms unchanged for this long, there likely is no health risk in waiting a while.

Good luck--- HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.