Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Update on ( herpes, hiv scared)

hello doctor, you are right on the hiv test. thank you very much for hhelping in my anxiety. however i am still concerned about herpes.

as you know that i have developed red scrotum and white bumps on my scrotum for about 3 weeks and a dermatologist gave elidel has helped alot in the itching and redness of scrotum. i was touching and checking it constantly almost every hour. i have a herpeselect at 5 weeks -ve for hsv2 and +ve for hsv1

around 6 weeks i found a red pin size dot( look like a blood dot) on my right side of my shaft abt 1 cm from the base.  it is just barely touching one of the sebaceous glands with a hair in it. I was worried so i kind of picked on it. it is like on the surface of the skin.

the SINGLE pin size blooddot came off (small dark brown skin)and it started to BLEED for a few minutes. it looked like it has a white dot inside it as in it is caved in slightly. there was no pain no nothing except for a little sting. so i left it alone.

on the next day i was touching it several times and it became a white dot, slightly bigger and it stings when i touch it or when water runs thru it. it does not sting when i do not touch it. soon it looks like the whole sebaceous gland was sore, with a hair in the middle. when i pull the hair follicle beside sore, i could see it connected to the sebaceous glands. i applied neosporin twice daily.

now it has healed about 5 days later and the sebacous gland is red and i do not feel anything other than itch. no watery blister, no scabbing badly, not very painful

i went to 3 doctors 1 in planned parenthood, 2 as a gp, all coming back with the reason of inflammed hair follicle, i have read many forums that it could be misdiagnosed for herpes. could it be true ?

1) could this be a herpe lesion ? or just an inflamed hair follicle ?

2) i have taken another herpeselect hsv2 test yesterday and it is about 9-10 week exposure. if it is negative will it be reliable ?

3) i have taken an elisa test -ve hiv at 9 weeks. i am relieved that it is cleared.

4) are my test reliable ?

thank you for your time doctor.
17 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
YOU DON'T HAVE HERPES!  DROP IT!

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
doctor, i am just curious, have you seen anybody with two negative results similar like mine turn positive for herpes after the 12-16 weeks or 6 months later ?

if my single bump was a herpes lesion and not an inflammed hair follicle at 6 weeks, would the 9.5 weeks herpeselect test detect the HSV2 antibody ?
Helpful - 0
doctor, i am just curious, have you seen anybody with two negative results similar like mine turn positive for herpes after the 12-16 weeks or 6 months later ?

if my single bump was a herpes lesion and not an inflammed hair follicle at 6 weeks, would the 9.5 weeks herpeselect test detect the HSV2 antibody ?
Helpful - 0
thank you for your assurance doctor.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your doctors have already told you that you don't have herpes and I have agreed.  The results confirm it, but a 12 week test would be even more certain. You can be 100% confident the additional testing will be negative, since all the evidence already indicates you don't have herpes.  But it's your money.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
hello doctor HHH,
i have had my result

5 weeks   HSV2 iGg <0.9  negative
9.5 weeks HSV2 iGg< 0.9  negative

at 6 weeks a the small bump that sore which 3 doctors said its an inflammed hair follicle,
can i rest with this results ? or do i need to retest in 12 weeks ?  

please doctor, i need your last advice.

thank you
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much. I will interpret your comment as "I'm going to be ok" then, especially with my negative test at 12.5 weeks, which you said in another question 2 months is plenty of time for any type hepatitis to come up.

Thanks!
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Some people assumed sexual transmission because the prevlanece of HCV infection is higher in people married to HCV infected people than in the general population.  But people who live together months and years in succession have lots of opportunty for blood sharing, in addition to sexual exposure to one another.  HCV is no higher in the casual sex partners of infected people than in the general population, the virus is not present in large amounts in sexual secretions, and no research has ever documented that sex per se is a mechanism of transmission.  So although sexual transmission may occur from time to time, it is not a dominant mode of transmission; and if sex didn't exist, the overall frequency of HCV infection would be no different than it is now.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Some older sites and not up to date docs still think that HepC is an STD.  It is NOT common to transmit it sexually.  Ask on the Hepatitis forum.  The people there have it, and are very up to date on most aspects of it.

There are tons of married people where one spouse has it, and the other doesn't.  You don't need to worry about it unless you are an injection drug user or other type of needle sharer.  It is a blood-blood transmitted disease.
Helpful - 0
Ok cool. I will direct my question to the Hepatitis Forum. Thanks for your help.
Helpful - 0
how reliable would a 10 week herpeselect test be ? according to my exposure and my description that i have given you ? or is my 5 week result reliable ?

thanks
Helpful - 0
I cant find the answer to my question (Well, I can but not in depth). I was just wondering why you (and the CDC) say that hepatitis C is not an STD, yet a lot of other sources say it can be transmitted sexually. I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend (who tested clean for all STDs but I wasnt sure about Hep C) and my healthcare professional made me get HIV and HCV testing at the 12.5 week mark. Is it possible to get HCV sexually, and if so, is testing negative at 12.5 weeks good enough (odds wise, what are my chances of having it)?

Thanks! I can send you a check in the mail if you want.
Helpful - 0
how reliable would a 10 week herpeselect test be ? according to my exposure and my description that i have given you ? or is my 5 week result reliable ?

thanks
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Same person, 2 usernames?  I deleted the question from "jeff3" as it seems a thread jump.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You can try contacting the medhelp web adminstrator.  But what they probably will suggest is finding a friend and using his/her credit card.  Sorry; I'm not in charge of the administrative/finanacial aspects.  But it's a good bet you can find what you need by searching the threads and archives.  Most of the questions have been asked before.  Just search for the STD you think you might have, or for such terms as HIV anxiety, HIV diagnosis, herpes diagnosis, and so on.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Hey, I dont want to hijack this thread, I just want to ask since I dont have a credit card, is there any other possible way I could pay your forum the 10 dollars to post a question? Paypal you the money, or transfer it to a bank account, or mail, or something?

Thanks
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You have seen a dermatologist plus 3 doctors who said it isn't herpes and looks like an infected hair follicle.  I cannot go against their opinion and wouldn't even try.  You can repeat a herpeselect test at 9-10 weeks if you want, but it seems unnecessary.  Your negative HIV test results are reliable.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.