Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HPV Confusion

I have three questions (in order of importance):

(1)  HPV:  about 7 months ago I was diagnosed with having HPV (via swab as well as
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
How reliable is a HerpeSelect test at 6 months, despite "atypical" herpes symptoms? By this time, would most people have seroconverted if HIV negative?
Helpful - 0
I meant to add that your previously positive HSV IgM antibody test is meaningless.  See my own thread below on this topic, and search the STD forum for information about "herpes diagnosis" and "IgM".

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It sounds like you have idiopathic vulvodynia. In Latin, vulvodynia means pain of the female genitalis (vulva), and idiopathic means the cause is unknown.  The pain usually is of a burning quality; otherwise, the Latin name tells just about the full story to the extent medical science can do.  It is a fairly common syndrome, and very frustrating to patients and providers alike.  Or perhaps the lichen simplex is the explanation; I can't judge that.  In any case, I'll bet all I have said so far, and all I will say below, is more or less exactly what you were told by your doc at the Vulvar Pain Clinic.  Test me:  print this reply and take it with you to discuss at your next visit to the clinic.

To your specific questions:

1) HPV has been speculated as a possible cause of idiopathic vulvodynia, but has not been proved and most experts don't believe HPV causes it.  I can't explain your discrepant HPV tests, except for the possibility that between the postive test and the negative one, your immune system and Aldara eradicated the infection.  Or perhaps the first test was falsely positive.  Between the two tests, the biopsy is the more reliable result.  So if you had HPV originally, or if you didn't, it now is gone; and it doesn't explain the burning sensation.

2) Just like HPV, HSV has been speculated as a cause of vulvodynia, but no research supports that explanation. Anyway, your negative blood test results exclude that possibility.  Despite what you have read, not seroconvering is rare.  You don't have genital herpes.

3) Your provider at the vulvar pain clinic is exactly right.  Why would you want to tell future sex partners about infections you don't have?

Good luck---  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.