Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hpv ex

My ex just found out with some test at her ob that she has some new virus called hpv that causes cervical cancer.
I'm freaking out because her doc told her that I probably have it too.
Can I get tested?
Now I'm afraid to have sex with anyone else--I think I could give them cancer though I think the chances are low.
What should I do?  Please help me doc--should I stop having sex?  Should she?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ok, I 'm feeling a little better. Would it be reasonable just so I can have some frame of reference to compare HPV to a cold sore?   I think that everyone gets them too and it's not really too big a deal either.  And HPV just like cold sores can cause bigger problems in some rare occassions too?  What do you think doc?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Monkeyflower is right.  The current rounds of ads about HPV are the Merck company's run-up to marketing of the HPV vaccine. Since the vaccine isn't yet approved by FDA (expected in a few weeks) or on the market, the strategy is to just start to make people aware of the HPV problem, and to get people who don't know much about it to start to educate themselves.  Like you!  (See, it's working.)

The reason for people to more or less ignore HPV, unless they develop warts or an abnormal pap smear, is that nothing can be done anyway.  What's the use?  Most HPV infections are asymptomatic, there is no diagnostic test for men, there is no treatment for asymptomatic infection, and most people get infected anyway, regardless of sex with any particular person who might have the virus.

The vaccine will change this scenario over time.  But for the mid-term future, HPV will remain a silent issue for most people that will never seriously affect their health.  Even for women with abnormal paps, the main problem is the cost and inconvenience of diagnosis and treatment, because the actual risk of progression to overt cancer is low, even without treatment.  And WITH proper management, the chance of a bad outcome is virtually zero.  Of course all this can carry a considerable psychological burden, and I don't mean to trivialize HPV infections.

But there really is not much for you to do about it at this point.  Most experts agree that men in your position--that is, the partners of women with abnormal paps--need do nothing unless they see an abnormal lesion or bump on the penis; and without such symptoms most people agree there is no ethical obligation to inform future sex partners of the situation.  Some experts and health ethicists might disagree, but not most of them.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
79258 tn?1190630410
I have a feeling that commercial is related to the upcoming cervical cancer vaccine. You know, get the word out there about HPV, get people thinking and talking about it, then release the vaccine (it's due for FDA approval in June). Pretty good marketing strategy, really. But in any case, the overall message is good, I think: get annual pap smears. Women who don't are the ones most likely to develop cervical cancer. While "cancer" sounds scary, it's quite preventable and manageable when caught early (hence the annual pap smears).

Anyway, I can understand and appreciate your concern and consideration for others, but I sure wouldn't stress out about it. Wear condoms (which are really quite effective against HPV transmission), and don't worry about it. HPV is most definitely NOT a reason to give up sex ;-)
Helpful - 0
Ok, I read a bit. . . but everything is so vague.  That CDC site is very confusing though--it says that most men won't develop health problems (which I kinda figured), but then its says that I could unknowingly transmit it to a woman who are at higher risk to developing a disease like cervical cancer.  And then it says that there is no health benefit to knowing you have the virussince it is unlikely to affect a man's health.  But this all seems so selfish for men because what about women?  If I think that I could unknowingly pass on a virus that could kill a girlfriend that I care about(or a fling)I don't think that I would have much of an appettite for sex anymore.  Why is everone making such a big deal out of this (like that HPV commercial), but then leaving men like me flapping in the wind?  WHy doesn't the CDC or ASHA or OB's have something more definitive and clear for men and women?  It seems like everything is left so intentionally vague!  All those other disease seem so clear cut.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Whoa!  Slow down.  Don't panic.  It is normal to get a genital infection with genital human papillomavirus (HPV); at least 80% of the population gets at one time or another.  (That doesn't mean it is desirable, just that it is extremely common and basically unavoidable.)  You probably have been infected with the strain your ex-partner has, but you don't necessarily still have it.  This is unlikely to affect your sex life.

HPV isn't a new virus at all and lots of information is vailable from many reliable sources. In fact, it's a bit surprising you haven't heard about it before now. So do a little research; most of what you will learn will be reassuring.  But take it slow; it's a complex subject.  Start with the information about HPV/Warts in the link "STD Quick Facts and Articles" on the homepage of this forum.  Then look at the information provided by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (www.cdc.gov/std) and the American Social Health Association (www.ashastd.org).  Finally, search this forum's threads and archives for "HPV".  Don't search this forum first. You'll find too many panicked stories like yours, with my mostly calming (I hope) replies. Then come on back with follow-up questions after you have carefully learned some of the basic.

Relax and don't worry.  All will be well.  Good luck--- HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.