Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HPV and Fingering

Doctor first I would like to thank you for your diligence in answering questions clearly and promptly.  A great resource!

My situation:

Diagnosed with a genital wart in September 2005.  Began dating a girl a month earlier.  We have not had sex.  Our only realy "sexual contact" was about a month ago.  I fingered her; actually several times in the past weeks.  This is her first  sexual contact ever.  Her absolute first sexual contact of anykind and that is a fact.  Obviously before our fingering encounter she could not have had hpv.  However, I have read reports that Genital hpv dna has been found on the fingers of those who are infected, the study especially said those with genital warts had identical dna on their fingers. I feel like it is likely that if one had genital hpv dna on their fingers and touched the genitals of another as I did when I fingered my girlfriend, that could transmit the virus to her.  However, I have been reading from your previous post that no STD has been transmitted from hand-to-genital contact.  But if hpv can be harbored on fingers and it is spread from "skin-to-skin" contact what are the odds that I infected her from this exposure.  Furthermore, because of her lack of sexual activity she has never been to a gyno.  Obviously I am trying to get her to go eventually.  What are the chances, odds, likelihood, etc that I transferred hpv to her?  I'm worried that I gave her this virus.  And in such proximity to the hpv vaccine.  So bottomline.  Could I give her HPV from fingering her?  Please be blunt, which you always are.  Shoot me straight.  Also if she were to give me a handjob through my boxers could that transmit hpv to her fingers and while she was going to the bathroom etc, could that transmit the virus that way as well?
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, HPV and discharge was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, can hpv spread through fingering was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, transmission of hpv was started.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sorry, I had to delete your comment, which was filled with scientific misinformation and misplaced emphasis.  You'd better go beyond the "leading researchers" who provided the information to you.  Further, the fact that something CAN happen, under particular circumstances, is not the same as saying it actually occurs with any measurable frequency.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I was traveling out of town yesterday, answered your question a little to quickly.  My reply assumed your warts were treated when diagnosed 9 months ago and have not returned.  In that case, the odds are you no longer have the virus in amounts that could be infectious. If you weren't treated and still have warts, the risk of indirect transmission may be a little higher (but still extremely small).  To be extra safe, just be careful about washing your hands (with soap) after you use the toilet, especially just before you and your girlfriend get together.

Also, detecting HPV DNA on hands isn't the same thing as saying the virus can be transmitted by hand contact.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If your warts were treated 9 months ago and have not recurred, the odds are strong you no longer are infected.  Even if you are, the chance of transmission to your partner by hand-to-genital contact are very low.  They will be lowered to zero if you wash your hands.

I cannot give you a precise numerical estimate of the risk.  It's low enough not to worry about, but there are no guarantees.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
So doctor, What your saying is that I do pose a risk of transmitting genital hpv from my fingers to my gf?  The wart in question was treated, but i've read that you can have micro-hpv lesions that you are not even aware about, and in that case i am not sure if i have been "truly treated."  Furthermore, does washing of the hands rid genital hpv off of the fingers to the point of no transmission?  Realistically what are the odds of transference even if i have an active infection from only finger-genital contact?
Helpful - 0
Where did you read these reports? Can you post the web addresses?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Put HPV entirely out of your mind. You have no worries about HPV transmission, in either direction, by the kinds of sexual contact you describe.  And of course neither HPV nor any other STD can be transmitted through shorts or other clothing.

I am unaware of any scientifically valid reports that the HPV types that cause genital infection can be transmitted by hand contact with another person's genitals.  There are a few virgin women who have been found to have HPV, but the likelihood is that some weren't truthful about not having had sex; and others had had genital apposition, without penetration. If any of those infections resulted from contact with the hands of partners who had genital infection, it is very rare.

Good luck-- HHH, MD

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.