Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HPV Concerns

I just graduated from college.  I had about 30 partners throughout that 4 years and unfortunately only used a condom with about half of them.  I just really didn't know stds were so prevalant and easy to get.  About a year ago I developed a bump on my penis.  I went and saw the doctor and he didn't know what it was.  He said it could be a wart, but wasn't sure. He froze it off.  Then another mark developed about 2 months later and I went back in and he said it didn't look like hpv to him.  He did a vinegar test and nothing on my penis turned white.  He froze that mark off too because it was a serious eye sore to me. Now a couple more marks have developed on my penis.  It seems a new mark develops every month or so, but none of the bumps or marks look like the others.  One is a purplish bump that is hard.  Another is whitish, fleshy and flat and when rubbed turns whiter.  I understand you probably can't diagnose this through just my description, but I can't see a doctor for a while because I don't have medical insurance until I start work in a few months.  

My questions;

1.  Does this sound like HPV to you? Why do the marks all appear different?

2.  I read something about a cure being developed in Austrailia for strains 6 and 11, do you know anything about a cure coming out?  I know they have the vaccine, in your professional opinion does that mean a cure is soon to be?

3.  I've been in a monagomous relationship for about 4 months and haven't told her anything because I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone.  She has not developed any problems?  Is that a sign that it's not HPV?

4.  To your knowledge, is someone with HPV prone to having a HIV infection?

Thanks so much for your help.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm not sure where you live but usually the local or county health department has STD screening clinics and they charge based on income, etc.  Id you do not have the means, testing and treatment are free.  I would call your local health department or search online.  They are in most areas.

Best of luck.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your analysis Doc.  I have one last question.  You mentioned in another post that it is a good idea to see a doctor in your area that is familiar with STDs, rahter than a Urologist.  How do you locate a doctor like this and is there any way to see doctors for free in your community, or for a reduced price.  I check my local health offices and all they offer is a program that you have to apply for for lowered health costs?

thanks
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
That's one of the reasons that I doubt the lesions you describe are warts.  Not knowing what they are, I cannot predict what will happen with them.

If cost and insurance coverage are problems, visit your local health department STD clinic for low cost (probably free), confidential, expert advice.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
1) This doesn't sound like genital warts, which do not come and go; and typically in any particular infected persons, all warts look more or less the same--the the variable appearance doesn't seem like warts.  But as you say, you'll need to see a provider to know what you've got.

2) There is no HPV cure in Australia or anywhere else.  The new HPV vaccines (one of which is now approved in the US and soon will be on the market) are a spectacular medical advance, but they only work to prevent infection.  Nothing at all is on the horizon for HPV cure.

3) No conclusion can be drawn about your diagnosis based on the fact that she hasn't developed warts.

4) Most STDs enhance the risk of acquiring HIV infection--but HPV does not.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes.  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Sorry Doctor, one more question.  I keep hearing about HPV clearance and how HPV goes away for most people after several months.  Why do these marks keep appearing?  Will they most likely just disappear spontaneously?  How does the clearance usually work?  Thanks so much
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.