Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Follow up about HPV

Dr.

I wrote a while back about a newly acquired HPV infection and had a few more questions.  I spoke with my Derm and we stated that i could have a recurrence as far as 20 years from now! And that i could transmit the virus that far into the future also and that i would need to use condoms indefinitely, obviously an issue is i want to have children.  Sounded a little far fetched based on my research but I figured i'd ask you also

1) Can I still transmit the virus years from now?
2) Is there a way to test to see if the virus is still in my body some time from now-say a year?
3) Won't my body clear up the virsu on its own in time, i beleieve you've stated 6-12 months?
4) Would the recent vaccine for HPV protect future partners from me passing it on?  And can women over 26 receive the vaccine?
5) Random question, how big can a condyloma get? and would a recurrence happen in the same spot the proginal wart was in?

Just got really worried after talking with him that this is something i'll have for life and be able to transmit for life, much like HSV.  Thanks much for your info as always!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your dermatololgist is right.  HPV sometimes reappears many years later.  That's why some women develop abnormal pap smears at, say, age 45, having had normal paps for the previous 20 years.  However, this is by no means universal; most people never have a recurrent infection, and most remain uninfectious--they don't transmit to their partners.

1) Possibly you could have a reactivated infection someday and transmit to a partner.  But it is unlikely.   Don't worry about it.

2) No, there is no test for persistent silent HPV infeciton.

3) Probably yes, and the usual time is 6-12 monthws.  But as I said, there are exceptions.

4) There are about 40 HPV types spread sexually.  The new vaccine protects against the 4 most common types.  Future partners would be protected only if your HPV was one of the 4 vaccine strains.

5) Sometimes giant condyomas can get up to an inch or two in size.

Note MedHelp policy:  Maximum 2 questions by any person in a 6 month period.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Also, I am an otherwise healthy young person, non-smoker, etc.. would this help my body rid itself of the virus faster or does it not matter
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.