Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Bump or wart?

Hi thanks in advance for your time. This is a great service. I am 25 year old straight female and a virgin. About 5 months ago, I gave and received oral sex from a guy I did not know very well, but he said he had been recently tested and clean. Anyways, after this interaction, I became really paranoid about getting a STD and kept inspecting myself for any abnormalities or signs of a STD. I found a slightly raised bump in the crease between the hymen and the labia minora posterier left to the vaginal opening. It is the same skin as the rest of the mucosal skin (pink and smooth)and isn't bothering me ie. no burning, itching or irratation. I was worried, so I went to my OBGYN and she said it was not a wart, but just looked like raised skin or could be a prominent Bartholin's duct. She didn't even see the need to test it or anything given my sexual history and that usually warts are pretty distinctive and easy to identify. She said she would never even have noticed it if I hadn't pointed it out. Also, I have been tested since for gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes, and HIV and they were all negative. The bump is still there and hasn't changed and very smooth. It doesn't look like most of the warts on the internet, but I keep worrying about it. It is very likely it could have been there all my life, but I have never looked at myself before. How likely is it that I could have contracted HPV from this interaction? Do you think I should get a second opinion or tested for HPV? Thanks again!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The evaluation by a provider who has examined you is far more reliable than any guess than any online expert can judge.  Your ObG undoubtedly is right; and anyway very few cases of genital warts, if any, are acquired by oral sex.  Most likely you just have some normal anatomic variant.

I strongly suggest you speak with your provider about the new HPV vaccine (Gardasil).  Since you haven't really begun your (truly) sexually active life, you can achieve maximum protection.  Once you start having intercourse, you can assume you will be exposed to HPV, assuming you have sex with people who have had any past sex partners themselves.  The vaccine will protect you against the two HPV types that cause almost all genital warts, as well as the 2 types that cause 70% of cervical cancer.  Your medical insurance probably will cover it, but even if not, the investment (probably $500-600, including your provider's clinic and administration costs) would be well worth it.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Phew! Thanks so much! I am definitely receiving the vaccine when my insurance picks it up in January.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.