Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HPV Transmission

Dear Sir,

About 10 months ago I began to develop genital warts. The first warts that appeared were four small flesh coloured bumps near the head of my penis, I did not have them treated and about 3 weeks ago another four tiny flsh coloured bumps appreared close by. I have had other warts near the base of my penis appear and dissaprear.

I was under the impression that warts could not be transferred via my hands. I have, therefore, masterbated myself and then masterbated my new girlfriend (only sexual contact.) Normally there has been a half an hour break in between touching myself and touching her. It is possible\probable that my fingers touched the small warts.  

I have also touched my warts directly with my finger for a couple of seconds, wiped my finger on the bed, and then by mistake lightly touched my girl freinds vagina.

I am stressing quite heavily that I she will develop warts.

Also, if I have infected her what are the odds that she will develop warts?

Overall are the odds 1/10, 1/100, 1/1000 or 1/000000? Hard question I know but could you take a stab?

Many thanks
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You do not say whether your warts were professionally diagnosed.  If not, do that immediately; you cannot rely (and neither can I) on your description.  Lesions coming and going like you describe is not typical for warts.

If you have genital warts, transmission by hand-genital contact is uncommon, but probably can occur from time to time.  However, I cannot estimate the actual odds; there simply are no data on this.

Bottom line:  See a health care provider.  If you have warts, get them treated.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
I have had them diagnosed but did not get them treated. The warts that came and 'went' i picked off.

You say it can happen from time to time but what factors does that depend on?

If i wash my hands after touching myself and before touching her do i reduce the odds to zero?

Can you give me any information on how 'uncommon' hand to genital transmission. You say it can happen from time to time but what factors does that depend on?

Many thanks
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Once in a while, STD clinics, university student health centers, and dermatologists see patients with genital warts or other HPV infections who deny ever having sex except mutual masturbation or oral sex.  But this is rare, and it isn't always certain the patient is being truthful.  That is the total of all knowledge about the subect, and nobody can answer your questions in the detail you seek.  It is logical that washing would help reduce reduce the risk, but again no data are available.

It makes no sense that your warts have not been medically treated.  It will speed resolution, and the sooner they are gone, the less your worries about transmission.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.