Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Genital Warts in urethra

I am a 36 year old male and about 11 months ago I had sex with a girl. 4 months later I found a wart inside my urethra as deep as 1/3 inch and it is about 1 inch in diameter, and then got it removed by laser. Since then I used imiquimod for 4 months and never see any warts again even I tested with vinegar.

1)I read some articles that some people have genital warts inside their urethra and the only way to find the warts is by using some special tools like a urethroscope because it
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I'm not much of an expert on intraurethral warts; when we diagnose or suspect them in patients at my STD clinic, we refer them to urologists for management.  However, I believe you do not have any major worries; if you had intra-urethral warts, you probably would know.  Even a small wart quite high in the penis alters the smooth flow of urine through the urethra, resulting in irregular, often spraying urine when voiding.  If you have a smooth, normal urine stream, the likelihood is small.  (But I'm not 100% certain of this; it is a question for a urologist.)

1) It is true that some intraurethral warts can only be diagnosed by urethroscopy.  But that's not such a big deal, and the warts can be directly removed/treated during the same procedures.  I have never heard of anybody requiring external surgery to get at urethral warts; sounds like an urban myth.  2) See above.  3) Your warts/HPV infection probably has resolved by now.  Although there is a lot of variability, as a rule of thumb once all warts have been gone for at least  6 months, most people probably have resolved the infection entirely and are not able to transmit it to their partners.

Women and men can have both symptomatic or asymptomatic wart virus infections, but most people develop visible warts that a health care provider can diagnose even if the infected person does not.  So absence of visibible warts pretty good but not definite evidence your partner isn't infected.  She could see her regular Gyn provider (or visit a public health STD or Planned Parenthood clinic) for professional exam.  If that also is normal, she probably is home free.

Bottom line:  Most likely your problem is entirely resolved and your partner not infected.  But there are no guarantees.  If in doubt, you and your partner could visit a urologist and gyn provider, respectively.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Dear Dr. H, thank you so much for your reply. I also want to konw:

1. My doctor told me the only possibility that one has some warts or bumps inside his urethral is condyloma acuminatum. That
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
1) I cannot comment on the reliability of your provider's diagnosis or on possibilities other than warts. 2) I am unaware of data that urethral warts recur more commonly than those at other sites.  3) The odds are very good you have been infected with one or more cancer-causing HPV types.  Most of us get such infections at one time or another.  But that possibility has nothing to do with  your urethral wart(s).  4) If you have external warts, they should be treated.  See a provider for diagnosis and advice.

Note MedHelp policy:  Forum moderators are obligated to respond only to the initial question, not to follow-up questions.  This will have to be my last reply.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.