Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

GOING CRAZY HPV AND INFIDELITY

I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 26 YEARS AND WAS A VIRGIN WHEN I MET MY HUSBAND.HE HAD 3 SEXUAL PARTNERS BEFORE WE MET, THAT BEING HE WAS A TEENAGER, AND IS NOW 47 YEARS OLD.
I WAS RECENTLY DX. WITH HPV AND AN ANAL WART. I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS, AND MY QUESTION IS---IS IT MEDICALLY POSSIBLE FOR THAT VIRUS TO HAVE BEEN DORMANT THAT MANY YEARS? HE PROMISES ME ME, THAT HE HAS NOT CHEATED, BUT I'M HAVING PROBLEMS BELIEVING THAT.HOW ELSE WOULD I HAVE GOTTEN THE HPV VIRUS WITH ONE SEX PARTNER.I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM SO I'M SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED BEFORE.

THANK YOU
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Yes, it definitely is possible for HPV to lie dormant all those years--in you or your husband or both--and now pop up with an abnormal pap smear. In couples like you, it is not unreasonable to be concerned about the other possibility, i.e. more recent infidelity on the part of one partner or the other.  But it need not happen and you need to judge your husband's fidelity based on what he says and/or other evidence, not on the basis of your HPV infection.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
IT STILL PROBABLY DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR ANSWER, BUT MY PAPS HAVE NEVER BEEN ABNORMAL. JUST THIS RECENT DX.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I knew that.  You're right, it makes no difference in my opinion or my advice.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.