Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Biopsy scar on penis is itchy and sore sometimes....

I had a wart on the shaft of my penis that I had treated (cryotherapy) several times and it kept coming back. Fearing cancer, the nurse recommended a biopsy which I had done about a month or two ago and came back negative. While I'm graeful for that, the scar that remains, while small and not very noticeable, is often itchy and a little sore. It is also irritable when there is any sexual contact of any kind. Is this something that should go away? Should the scar go away eventually also? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is there a chance the wart could try to come back where the scar is, which could be causing the itchy/soreness? If I was to use cryotherapy on the scar, would the area re-heal itself possibly without a scar? I just want it to feel normal again.  Any help and information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sorry, I cannot predict the likelihood of a wart reappearing in the area of the scar. It is possible.  But you don't say how long ago the treatment was.  If several months have gone by without a recurrence, it probably is unlikely.  How the scar looks or feels (itchy, etc) makes no difference in that.  Mostly itching and soreness clear up in a few weeks, but I'm not an expert in wound healing or scars, so I'm not sure.  That's a question for the provider who took the biopsy; or get a second opinion, such a dermatologist.  I see no reason for worry.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
I has some m o l l u s c u m lesions frozen last year. One white scar on my penis took around 5 months to disappear. From my understanding and personal experience, penile skin takes much longer to heal than other areas. I would not worry about it.
Helpful - 0
I actually did mention that I had the biopsy done about  month or two ago.  The wart that was tested originally appeared a few years ago, I waited about 8 months originally to have it treated out of uncertainty, fear, and embarrassment.  A few others popped up in that time which were all treated with cryotherapy.  The "original wart" kept coming back about 3 or 4 times, which is why the biopsy was recommended.  The biopsy was done by a dermtologist.  It hasn't appeared to redevelop since the biopsy.  I'm more concerned at this point that I will have this minor discomfort always there.  Do you know of anything that will aid in or further the healing process so that I may have some semblance normalcy?  Thanks for your replies, I appreciate your time.  
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sorry I missed the timing of the procedure.

This is a dermatology issue at this point, not an STD issue.  As I already said, this is something for the dermatologist who did the procedure.  I see no reason to suspect your disomfort will last indefinitely, but that's all I can say.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.