Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HPV Transmission after treatment

Sorry to ask yet another HPV question.

I recently dated a girl with mild cervical dysplasia. She had it treated with a laser operation, which her doctor said had a 95% chance of clearing up the infection. Her doctor also said to wait four weeks after the procedure before having sex. We had unprotected sex (for the first time) five weeks later. It was the first and only time I have ever had sex, with her or otherwise. She has not yet had a follow-up pap test.

My questions are as follows:

1) I know it's difficult to say for sure, but based on the circumstances I have described, would you say I am any more or less likely to have HPV than, say, the average sexually active college-aged male? In other words, how likely is transmission 5 weeks after a surgery the doctor said was 95% likely to clear the infection?

2) I understand that mild dysplasia can actually be caused by both low- and high-risk strains of HPV, but do you have any idea what proportion are caused by low-risk strains? It seems like it is likely a low proportion, but I have not been able to find any data either way. An estimate would be fine, if you are comfortable doing that. I don't know whether hers was high- or low-risk, but it seems safe to assume that it was a high-risk one.

3) Sort of unrelated, I am interested in whether you have had the opportunity to read the latest JAMA study on HPV prevalence in women, and what your thoughts on it are. I found it to be a pretty interesting read.

4) I was going to ask whether I should tell future partners about this, but I'm assuming your answer will be no.

That's all. I also want to say that I really appreciate the work you're doing on this forum. Thanks.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
im 17 and have had a rough past with relationships and cheating. now i have found the one (i prey), were loyalty is on both sides. then i got a call from a past partner were last innercourse was about a month and a half ago saying she tested positive for hpv. with me being happy and a severe case of puppy love, i have been losen sleep over it exspecialy with males not haven a diognoses. i did some research and calmed down for a nap but still have ?'s.

i asume i have a genital wart on my shaft area for as long as i can remember but i realy dont have any clue how long that it could've been there. for the fact i lost my virginity 2 years ago and have had over 30 unpretected partners (multiple times with each) that werent virgins, plus its very pale in color, it makes me think its not another mole. (wich i have dark ones across my body) lately its gotten larger and is the size of a candy nerd. ive also realized other small bumps on the scrotum border and itching(not the bumps, an area of skin). it seems as if it only itches bad after were done or even masterbation. i thought this could be a persperation problem but even after i promptly washed afterwards it didnt make a diffrense.

1.in ur opinion does it sound like hpv or moles?

2.if so, is there anyway to treat it at home?

3.could i of given my lover it with in the past month?

4.is there a better chance trasmitting it in the anal or vigina?

5.does cumming inside her make chances larger?

6.does it effect lack of sexual urge or am i jus growen up?

7.with no symptoms in or on my face can i give oral with out giving the unwanted?

8.asumming shes negative, will the vacine prevent me passing it to her?

9. she jus got her tonsles taken out, does that change anything?

10.is there a clinic or anything that would test us for any stds without parent consent?

i thank u for this and wait eagerly for a response. im also very glad to find this site, it gives ppl a chance to ask and talk bout things they need to know but might be to ashamed to take action.  
Helpful - 0
79258 tn?1190630410
Keep in mind that these percentages are women who are *currently* infected. Considering that most people clear it within, what, six months-year, well, I think it's safe to say that HPV is truly ubiquitous. Everyone who has more than a couple of partners is sure to get it. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't give it a second thought :-)
Helpful - 0
Your advice makes a lot of sense. It's too bad there's no data on probability of transmission after a single exposure, but, realistically the only way to gather data on that would be to test it, which would clearly not be medically ethical.

I'll admit that what I was hoping was for you to say something like "Your risk of infection is 50% or less," since statistically this would put me on par with my age group (20-29). I'm really not too worried about it, but I might still inform any potential partners within the next few months, if only to put my mind at ease. Or maybe I won't. If I do, it will certainly be tempered with the data that 45% of 20-29 year olds have this virus currently, and there is not even any guarantee that I have it.

Thanks again, Doctor.
Helpful - 0
On the topic of HPV.  Was wondering if someone is clinically diagnosed with HPV (dyplasia or warts) does one have any obligation to notify past sexual partners?  

My guess is that the answer is no. . . it's pointless.   If they're clinically infected and it's worth worrying about they'll find out soon enough, but if not and the infection is sub-clinical they'll likely never know and it's pointless to have them worry about it.

Is my reasoning correct?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Directly to your clearly stated, articulate questions.

1) I cannot predict the likelihood you were exposed or infected.  There simply are no data to answer the question.  Your partner's doc is correct that there is more than a 90% likelihood of cure, but the treatment she had doesn't necessarily eradicate all virus right away, and it may take several weeks or months for her immune system to complete the job.  Or the virus might already be gone entirely.  But don't worry much about it:  if you don't catch HPV now, you're going to get it someday anyway.  It is harmless over 99% of the time.  Nobody should go through their sexual lives worrying about HPV, especially men.

2) If your partner's dysplasia was low grade, there is at least a 50-50 chance of a low risk rather than high risk HPV type.  If higher grade, probably high risk.

3) Yes, I am intimately familiar with the recent JAMA report.  There are no suprises in it; the results were accurately predicted from numerous other studies over the past several years.

4) You have it right.  People who are only exposed to HPV, without a diagnosed infection in themselves, have no ethical or practical obligation to inform future sex partners, in my opinion.

Best wishes-- HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.