Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain in Testicles for 3 months

Hi

I had unprotected sex 3 months ago. Since then I have been having a dull ache/light pain in both testicles. Sometimes the pain is on lower shaft of penis and sometime (rarely) is on upper goin/leg area. I have been checked for all STIs 10 days and also 3 months after - all clear.

I only have pain in testciles, they are NOT painfull to touch, and are not swollen. I do NOT have any pain or burning  when I urinate and no discharge at all.

I have noticed althogh have off days it is getting less frequent but still there.

I never have pain in the night or first thing in the morning, only when I start the day and during.

Questions:

1)Could this be prostatis or epidimydis (spelling!)bearing in mind I only have testicle pain with not really anything else?

2) Could it be Tricomonas as I know this can be missed on checking urine.

3) Is there any chance this could just be a non specific bacterial infection from my encounter, and that it could just go on its own or will it need help (antibiotics) I know Tric can take upto 6 months to go.

Many Thanks

11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, similar symptoms but more intense... was started.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Try reading all the comments above.  The answers are there.  I won't have any other comments for you.
Helpful - 0
I have been having the same problem. I have been having a dull ache in my testicles now for about 2 month. I have been wondering if I have caught trich or what else might be causing the problem? Any ideas?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
No.  Prostate infections are not sexually acquired.
Helpful - 0

I remember now having a sharp pain 36 hrs after sex in a place which I now know to be the prostate.....from then the dull ache in testciles followed.

Could this be a bacterial infection from when I had this encounter I wonder or is this too early...?
Helpful - 0
79258 tn?1190630410
Thanks! I got the link from Grace. She's awesome :-)
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
As usual, monkeyflower comes through with useful commentary and advice.  I was unfamiliar with that website, but on quick glance it looks excellent.

I cannot vouch for the treatment method cited, because I haven't researched it and the website provides no data on outcomes.  However, the information is consistent with the recent reclassification of most cases of "nonbacterial prostatitis" as male pelvic pain syndrome.  Further, the suspected explanation for the cause of pain is entirely plausible, which in turn would explain why 1) such symptoms so often start soon after an anxiety-producing sexual event, and 2) antibiotics have little or no effect.
Helpful - 0
79258 tn?1190630410
Here's a great article that I think might help answer your questions...

http://www.pelvicpainhelp.com/excerpts.html
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reply.

You say it is probably not an STD. However, if it is a form on male pelvic pain what can cause this? can an STD intially be the cause, as it is funny that the pain started 1 week after this encounter.

thanks
Helpful - 0
I had very similar circumstances.  As a matter of fact, except for the length of time you have been in pain, your situation sounded exactly like mine.  

It turned out I have a hernia on the left side which accounted for almost the symptoms.  I had tested numerous times-all negative.  Once I had the surgery, my discomfort all but went away.

If you have had the battery of tests you indicate and the pain is still there, have your RX look for a physical rather than any sort of an infection.

Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Pain of the sort you describe is not epididymitis; you cannot have that problem without swelling and tenderness to touch.

1) Prostate gland problems, including the male pelvic pain syndrome (a newer name for some cases of what used to be called prostatitis) can cause vague pain in the testicles or, as the name suggests, the lower abdomen and perineum (the area between the scrotum and anus).  So perhaps that is a possibility.

2, 3) Trichomonas is not known to cause such symptoms; and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU, same as nonspecific urethritis, NSU) does not do so either, without discharge and/or urinary discomfort.

My bet is on emotion/anxiety due to your sexual encounter.  Anxiety alone may not cause pain, but it certainly can magnify otherwise normal and insignificant body sensations.  If you remain concerned, see a health care provider.  But I don't think you have any STD, and nothing at all related to your sexual event, unless anxiety.

Good luck--  HHH, MD

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.