Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

short term symptoms for stds

hi
last saturday (6 days ago) I met a woman at a bar and we went to her place and had sex - straightforward vaginal intercourse that was pretty quick (< 5min). I was careful and used a condom.
and apart from rubbing my penis on her skin (stomach etc before putting condom on) there was no other contact (no oral either way etc).  about 2 days later I developed a low grade fever which I still seem to have. also my penis seems to be somewhat sore/sensitive even now - much longer than what simple physical abrasion would last. However I have no other symptoms at this point (nothing - no nausea, not even any visible marks/abrasions on my penis).  I'm having a very hard time finding  information specifically on short term symptoms such as fever. I would have thought this sort of question (immediate symptoms) would have been one of the most popular since it's usually the thing most people stress about if they do get symptoms soon after.  
From what I can see there seems to be very few things that can cause a low grade fever so soon - HPV?.
Is it worth getting tested and if so for what? I was under the impression that most tests for STDs need to wait 2-3 months.
Thanks
Dave, PhD
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Such vague symptoms don't sound like herpes. Condoms are highly protective, although not perfect.  Just because certain symptoms can occur with herpes doesn't mean that it's common or that it's like in your case.
Helpful - 0
just a followup - it's been about 10 days now  and i am fairly sure that I have contracted herpes.. it looks like some preliminary sores are starting to form...
Regarding your comments - from what I've learned subsequenty (and please correct me if I'm wrong) -
a) herpes can be spread just through genital to skin contact anywhere in the mid body region so wearing a condom for intercourse only (which is what I did) is not sufficient protection
b) mild flu like symptoms alone are indeed a symptom of on first contraction of herpes and
c) symptoms can appear as soon as  2 to 3 days after contraction which is when I noticed them.
I'm still not 100% certain yet - I'll probably know for sure within a few more days,  but it definitly feels like I have something..  perhaps you were more concerned with ruling out more serious possibiliites, which I appreciate...
I do plan on visiting a clinic when I get back in a couple of weeks - I'm travelling at the moment which is why i used this service rather than going to a clinic.
dave james

Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There are at least 3 reasons not to worry about STD as a cuase of your symptoms.  1) Since you used a condom, you were well protected.  2) No STD can cause any symptom within 2 days.  3) The symptoms don't suggest any known STD; fever alone is not an STD symptom.  Maybe you caught a garden variety respiratory virus, maybe even from your sex partner--but nothing more.

On the basis of this exposure, you don't need any STD testing.  However, sexually active people outside committed relationships ought to be routinely tested for HIV and common STDs (gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis) from time to time, such as once a year.  If you have not been tested recently, this might be a good time, since it's on your mind.  But not because of the exposure you describe.

Disregard HPV.  It's not an issue in this situation.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.