Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Notice to STD Forum Users

The forum has been very successful, as measured by the number of questions posed, the number of users and hits, the thanks expressed by many of you, and mostly by the quality of the questions.  But its usefulness is diluted when people post questions that have been repeatedly addressed, especially in low risk situations; and it especially harmed when the same persons post repeat questions in order to deal with their own anxieties.

More people attempt to post questions than can be accommodated.  Whenever a repetative or otherwise unnecessary question is posted, it prevents someone from getting in with a new topic.  In an attempt to limit this problem, I am going to be more strict about deleting new posts that duplicate previous ones.  Here are some topics that are at high risk of being deleted without response:

- STD/HIV from oral exposure to female genitals (cunnlingus):  extremely low, almost never worth anxiety or worry, unless exposed to a particular infection

- STD/HIV risk after a single condom-protected exposure, especially when the partner isn't known to have any STD problem

- STD/HIV risk from manual (hand to genital) contact (zero)

- Time to positive HIV test:  sometimes positive as soon as 10 days, usually positive by 3 weeks, and virtually always positive by 6 weeks, despite official advice that it is best to wait 3 months to be sure.  If your HIV test is negative 6 weeks after exposure (and especially after 12 weeks), you don't have HIV, period.

Thank you for your support of the STD Forum.

HHH, MD
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Will you be setting up a FAQ page to address common fears.
Helpful - 0
I too would like to know the odds of receiving HIV as a male receving oral sex from a female.
Helpful - 0
Lots of confusion regarding male hand to female genital contact any information should be included. Thanks.
Helpful - 0
"Unless exposed to a particular infection."

?

Can you clarify, please? Thanks!
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
To Everyone:

Partly in response to this message, MedHelp leadership has offered to set up a link on the STD Forum to FAQs, in which I would adapt some of the responses I have posted previously.  Unlike the message strings themselves, they wouldn't time out.

So I'm asking for regular forum users' suggestions.  In addition to the above topics, what additional ones do you think would be good ones for an FAQ section?

Thanks--   HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
sorry am guilty of repeat posting which not helpful..thanks for the great assistance offered
Helpful - 0
Doc, how bout STD (particularly herpes)from oral exposure to male genitals?  equally low?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.