Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Worried about brazilian bikini wax

I have had only 1 sex partner. After a several-year break, I am considering having a 2nd one. I have been tested every year and am always negative for everything.

BUT... I got a Brazilian bikini wax about 10 days ago. I booked it at a world-famous Brazilian waxing salon. The people who work there often are quoted in magazine articles, and lots of people recommend this place.

I admit I was not watching carefully during the wax. I was staring at the ceiling and wishing for it to be over :) But I was shocked that my waxer did not use gloves. I have no idea whether or not she "double dipped" the same stick into the wax pot more than once, but I have to think she did. I didn't see a mountain of sticks on the table, and several areas required multiple applications of wax because I shave and my hair was a little too short. I looked down a few times and saw I was bleeding slightly.

No one discussed aftercare with me. I called the day after and they recommended Neosporin for my red, irritated, bumpy skin. I used that and Tend Skin but still have a few pimple-like bumps.

Now I am freaking out. I called the salon and they said there is no chance of disease transmission because "the wax is hot." Apparently it is heated between clients, and this is supposed to kill anything in it. They also said they have studied this carefully and could never operate as a business if there were any danger. But they admitted they don't change the wax between every client.

Could I have acquired an STD? Should I get tested and how quickly can I do it? I refuse to infect my partner.
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Allergic reaction or Herpes?!?! Please HELP was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Also worried about bikini waxing was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, You CAN get Herpes from waxing was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Double Dipping / Brazilian Waxing was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, no double dip bikini wax was started.
Helpful - 0
Hey there - I've had this concern before too. I was looking for a brazilian waxer and I would just call and ask a)if they could please use gloves and b) what their practice is for wax cleanliness... e.g. i would just ask what they do for client safety, do you use multiple sticks etc.? Anyway, one thing that might make you feel better: at more reputable, safe salons the practice is to have a small pot of wax for each client... so if she was double dipping in a small pot made just for you, you're extra just fine!!

Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The risk of HCV transmission by that route should be awfully close to zero, if not there.  HCV is pretty hard to transmit, except by blood exposure.  It is much less transmissible than heptatitis B or HSV, for example; more like HIV.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Forgive me for my ignorance, but how can you get a "sexually" transmitted disease getting a bikini wax?  Is this a question for the dermatology forum?????
Helpful - 0
My concern is: if one of the previous clients on that day had a sexually transmitted disease, what are the chances an infection (herpes/hpv/molluscum) from that person could contaminate the wax and be transmitted via the applicator? Especially if the waxer was using the same stick in the wax pot more than once (and also did so on the previous client)!
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Zero.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Thanks, HHH. That's pretty reassuring.

One last question: How about hepatitis C? I've read some things that seem to indicate it survives in heat, so if blood from a previous client got in the wax pot and the contaminated wax was placed on my broken skin... I realize the risk is extremely low, but is it also zero?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I have never heard of a patient who acquired an STD from hair removal waxing procedures, nor am I aware of any cases reported in the medical literature.  The risks clearly are teeny, if they occur at all.  And your symptoms don't sound like herpes or any other STD.

Having said all that, I don't know what health standards apply to the procedure and whether they are enforced. I'm thinking in particular about the temperature of the wax, i.e. whether it in fact is hot enough to kill any microorganisms.  You might telephone your local health department and describe the situation to them.  If there is any risk, it is from staph, strep, and other bacteria, not STDs.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.