Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Muscle Pains

I'm trying to assist my sister-in-law (53 yrs old) with her medical problem.  She recently engaged with dr to assess pain in her shoulder/neck.  The pain has began to impede her daily life in November.  She got an appt with neurologist and he prescribed pain killers and muscle relaxants--they were of little use.  she reengaged with the dr's office after 3 wks and told them the symptoms were getting worse, but they insisted she wait until her appt in 2 wks.  she became proactive with her treatment and insisted on a muscle biopsy.  reluctantly, her neurologist set up the procedure a month ago.  results indicate she may have desminmyopathy.  needless to say, they are not impressed with their present dr and would like to find a different one in the Wisconsin area.  however, they are not sure who to turn to.  they have done extensive research on the web, but find very little info for this disease.  i know this is not a medical condition request but we would sincerely appreciate any resource you can pass on to us.  Many thanks!!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am not familiar with desmin myopathy being a disease of skeletal muscle only.  It is usually associated with a rare genetic form of cardiomyopathy.  Desmin is a molecule that forms part of the contractile unit of the muscle fiber.  A defect in this molecule results in muscle weakness and, since it is found in heart muscle too, dialated cardiomyopathy.

It is unlikely that this is the problem since there is no complains of muscle weakness and since the problems is only confined to one area.

The most logical approach to this problem would have been to evaluate for cervical spondylosis or degenerative disk disease with a common x-ray. These conditions would lead to nerve compression which would cause pain in that area.

If those were negative, consider strenuous activity or possibly the bed that she sleeps on or any history of traumatic neck injury.

Another possibility is thoracic outlet syndrome which is compression of a system of nerves called the brachial plexus which originate from the spinal cord of the neck and are responsible for sensation and movement of the upper extremities, shoulder and upper back.  This compression occurs because of the way the nerve complex is sandwiched between two neck muscles. This can be evaluated for with MRI.

A muscle biopsy seems completely uncalled for without symptoms of muscle weakness.  Also since the problem is only localized to one region, it is less likely to be due to any type of mucular dystrophy which would affect the entire body.
Helpful - 0
I had an automobile accident on Jan. 5th 2005 and I broke my 8th rib in the left side. I also was later diagnosed with contusion of the left elbow and 2 buldging disc in my back on the left side.I was suffering from painful head aches that would start out real painful and continue from 5 min to 2 hrs and nothing would relieve them. I was later diagnosed with cluster head aches. I have been on Topomax for the head aches. Two weeks ago I had a terrible pain in my lower back on the left side(kidney area) and after the back eased off my stomach hurt (real painful). Although i have been in constant pan with my neck and back since the wreck, this was more than I could handle. I was told by the ER dr. that I may have kidney stones 50/50 chance. My regular dr called the following day and said it was either a tumor or bone island. I had a bone scan and he called me again and said that it was probably an old bone island and nothing to worry about. I have had elavated blood pressure for several months about 120-140 over 96-100 and my pulse has been for the past couple of months 92-120 just when I am sitting and doing nothing. I went to a dr at a local clinic and he seems to think the pain in my back and neck is nerve damage (nerve pain) and aurthritis. I still have pain in my lower back ( kidney area) and it still makes my stomach hurt. The dr seams to think about prostate cancer but is trying to rule this out because although  I am up and down at night going to the restroom and I sometimes have trouble starting to urinate I don't have any other symptoms other tan back pain. What do you as a dr think and what should be my concerns. Oh! and do I need to be checked for prostate cancer?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.