Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

help 92 year old woman and dont know what to do with her

i am a care giver for a 92 year old and she has had jumping legs for the last year or so we had it under control but something has happen in the last few days that has started it up again she is on requip and has a scrip for lorazepam but when we give her that she tends to fall so there for she lays in bed and crys all night long and gets no sleep we have tryed to give her sleeping pills but they make her sleep walk we have ask the dr what to do and her doc just gives her more pills help what can we do to help her with this faitheclipse
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
She has my greatest sympathy. I,m no expert but if her legs just jump at night she could have restless leg syndrome if it happens during the day it may be part of a movement disorder.  My husband suffers from restless leg syndrome and it used to drive him and me mad as he couldnt sleep because of it. He was prescribed  neurontin which stopped it all together. Obviousely I am not an expert and know nothing about the medications the lady is taking so you would be wise to consult your Dr as there may be reasons why she has not been precribed or diagnosed as having RLS. Hope this helps a little. I,m sure someone else on the forum will comment who knows more than me. Take Care.
Helpful - 0
she has been but on the requip for RLS 3x a day some times i thanks she is just doing it to get attestion but with her you don't know can any one come up with something to help me faitheclipse
Helpful - 0
Why was the decision made to give this woman meds for restless leg syndrome?  Was she hurting herself, or sleeping poorly?  Was it given as a precaution that she might be hurt/fall because of the condition? If she has had this for over a year, she is probably used to the condition and actually sleeps well with it. The pills you are giving her restricts her ability to walk and exercise, but keeps her in her bed.  It sounds to me like she misses the movement and she hates being in bed all the time, too, so she cries and doesn't sleep and she is tired, grumpy, and unhappy.  She can't do anything about it and feels helpless.  If she has always been an active woman, this would be Hell for her.  If the movement isn't hurting her, and she is sleeping well even with the LRS, then talk to the doctor about the pros and cons of controlling the severity rather than getting rid of the restlessness altogether.  What does she want to do about this condition?  Allow her to make or contribute to the decision.  Even if she isn't "all there" she will know what she wants even through the fog.  Hang in there.  Caregivers have a tough time. Take care of yourself, too.
Helpful - 0
Calcium, potassium, and magnesium tend to help my mother in law with her restless legs. Just be careful with supplements not to overdo it.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.