Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

fibrocystic breast disease in a 16 year old?

Well, to start off, I'm only 16 and in numerous sports at my high school. About a year ago, I noticed a painful lump under my left armpit. Sometimes the pain is excruciating that radiates through my breast and surrounding areas, and other times it's barely noticeable. Sometimes it itches unbearably (though this may have nothing to do with it). It's about 3 inches or so across and the tissue is very tender to touch. My mother thought it was a swollen lymph node and advised me to wait it out for a few months. Well, 7 months later (back in october)she finally brought me to her gynecologist to have this checked out. You have no idea how much I'd been worrying about it. As it turns out, it wasn't a lymph node at all, it barely showed up on the ultrasound machine, but it's clearly palpable. Over the past few months, i've been feeling fatigued and unable to focus. My doctor said it was prbably nothing to worry about. It's still there just as painful as ever and possibly even bigger (though that may be my imagination). I'm no fool, I KNOW something is wrong and I'm panicking thinking the absolute worst. Could it be fibrocystic breast disease or worse? Please help, I'm really worried.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It could be a lipoma. This is just a benign fatty tumor. It can be painful if it presses on nerves, although the lump itself doen't feel painful. The itching could be from irritated stretched skin because of the growth. The wisest thing to do in my opinion would be to have it removed. It can then be easily, and thoroughly analyzed. It is a relatively simple outpatient procedure, and no worse than having stitches. I agree that it can seem very scary if you do not know what it is, but try not to read too much, you'll scare yourself more than you need to. Also, be honest and frank with your mom, and tell her how much this has been worrying you. Chances are she doesn't realize how afraid you are. She will probably do everything she can to ease your concerns.
Helpful - 0
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000912.htm
If it is fibrocystic breast disease, then this will help ease your mind, and let you know you have nothing to worry about. Also staying away from high fat foods, and caffeine will ease symptoms of fibrocystic breast disease. incedentally, it is more of a condition than a disease.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.