Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hey all you people with undiagnosed Neuro problems.......

Are you taking any kind of Serotonin increasing medications? Maybe combined with others of a similar nature? e.g. SSRIs, Tramadol, erythromycin (excuse the spelling) and various others. Some of you may have read the odd post by me in the last few months. 9 months ago, I started to develope MS like symptoms which gradually appeared over 3 months. Started with tingling in my thumb and then spread through my body, leaving muscles weak as it went - when it reached my chest, I struggled to breathe at times - it was terrifying! Then double vision, fatigue, confusion, nystagmus, severe ataxia, tramor, feeling very hot, Bladder & digestion problems, Euphoria (which I loved, because it meant I could handle the crazy things that were happening better) headaches, Swallowing and chewing difficulties, and various others. Had an MRI and various blood tests - all normal. Saw a Neuro, and he said maybe complicated migraine (for three months?)
Anyway, since then, symptoms have not been so severe, but still hideous enough to have majorly affected my life - not to mention my bank balance!
All this time I've been looking in this forum for an answer and the other day, on the Neurology forum, the Neuro mentioned serotonin syndrome. Today I googled it and I was stunned! I have been suffering with thorasic pain for 5 years now, and when I was'nt coping last year, my doc put me on Fluoxatine (cheap prozac)6 weeks later symptoms bagan. I asked her then if it could be the Fluox - she said no - think its MS. Looked up side effects - did'nt look like it. Asked Neuro also - he said no too! Cont. below
20 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm glad you're going in for painting again - its what has kept me sane over the last year - strangely enough, I have done the best work ever since I've been so ill - its been my escape and I've never appreciated it so much. I also am sad you're stepping back, but also understand why. I hope that what ever you do, you find real satisfaction and enjoyment in it. Thanks again - Sheila  :)
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hear you are stepping back from this forum.   I hardly post, but do read often and have gained a great deal of info that has helped me with my problems.  I agree w/you on the stupid and silly responses that have now almost taken over this board.   Responses such as "can't say anything anymore about anything"  or "such checking in"  and of course "you want to be sick" are just plain stupid and should not be allowed here as there are so many of us out there who are suffering and don't need to be bothered by someone like this.   I have been hoping that this person would catch on and just disappear but apparently she is going to answer every single question with her usual response of "go to the er - you have heart trouble, etc. etc.  Please check back every now and then - hopefully she will go away.    THANKS for all your help in the past.
Helpful - 0
Demi - thank you so much for taking so much time to help me - I do hope you realise what an enormous contribution you are to this forum - I am taking a little time to get my head round your many points - I may have questions, but I need to absorb it all first. Alot of what you say makes sense to me and although its not a dx, it certainly brings me some peace - most probably through the validation of my symptoms more than anything else - having someone take this much time to explain things to me is an enormous gift indeed and I am deeply grateful. I saw a new osteopath the other day - my neck had been giving me hell after I had strained it at work - (caused nausia & dizziness mostly), and he said that he believes its all to do with my fall @ 19. Says there is soft tissue injury @ C3/C4 and that previous therapists have worked in wrong place & their adjustments have done more damage than good - did some myofascial release and the next day the dizziness disappeared & has only happened intermittantly since. I am very hopeful that this guy will be able to help me - I have certainly had improvement out of one treatment, so heres hoping. I am wondering if the prozac could have irritated the nerves - what do you think? - the other possibility is something I had forgotten about as the doc had brushed it off at the beginning. At work, about a week before all this started, I was moving my OHP about to get a good picture, and I felt something in my neck - followed by a pressure in the back of my head - I thought I had put my neck out and expected pain to follow, but it never did - just the tingling thumb a week later and you know the rest. I am going to go back to the neurologist very soon - I have some money coming from my latest work, and I will see what he can give me for pain - Have to go now - will post back if I think of questions - thanks again   :)
Helpful - 0
Hi Demi, Hope you're enjoying the break. Unfortunately, I can't locate the MRI report - have no idea where it is - not in file. But I read it so often, I'm pretty confident I remember what it said about haemangioma: There is a small, focal haemangioma on (or in?) the mid-dorsal vertibrae with a bright signal (or signals) into T1 & T2. Neuro said it was nothing to worry about.
Strange about my gd coordination for painting - yes I am very good at it - very detailed in past, but have loosened up somewhat to avoid straining. I could never catch a ball as a child - could'nt see it coming & move hands in time, but always could draw so well. Neuro says poor tracking - eyes not moving together which he suspects was always there, but has been exacerbated.
Funny thing you made me think of - There was a subject at design school - drawing from the right side of the brain - had to do all these exercises to tap into it - everyone else was amazed at their results, but I couldn't do it at all - got a D grade compared with usual A's. I really tried, but there was nothing there.
Thanks again :)
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for responding - I really enjoy reading your posts - even the ones that are not relevant to me.
OK, I'll try to answer questions. I'm currently not taking any antidepressant - I would like to take amitript again (did 2 years ago after lumbar injury)  While on it I developed heart arythmias - skipped every 2nd or 3rd beat for days at a time - took Diltiazem & it cleared the problem up. Notice both these listed as good migraine preventers so requested of Dr but she said no (never responds well to my suggestions)& tried Sandomigran instead (felt like a zombie on this & very depressed)
Nervous about continuing Tramadol with the info I've found.
Eyes - Had them checked early on - about 2 weeks b4 eye symptoms began - all good - very minor astigmatism right eye - no glasses needed. Horizontal nystagmus in both eyes (definately this - Physician dx it) then started with double vision & colours changing - could'nt drive some days as movement made me feel sick - saw physician, he dx bilateral interneuclear opthalmoplegia (said he could see nerve damage)- this with abnormal neuro exam (hyper reflexes, babinski sign, could'nt touch nose then his finger, & some minor sensory deficits, poor ballance) led him to believe MS. Had another eye exam - eyes no longer alligned - given prism to correct this - really helped. Nystagmus was really bad while I had the MRI done - forgot to ask Neuro if this would have blurred the results?. When it appeared normal, Physician obviously questioned his Dx opthalmoplegia & did'nt include it in the neuro referal.
Nystagmus stopped after 5 months - only get it occasionally now.
Glasses don't run in family - I grew up with right eye wondering off when tired - grew out of it.
No, no thorasic MRI yet - just Xrays done early last year.
I am right handed - left side always been weaker & poorly coordinated - clumsy child - Physician thought dyspraxia - still fall over more often than most - have had lots of accidents incl.
Head injury @ 19 that I feel I never really recovered from. Slipped while taking shower in bath, hit behind ear on bath tap - knocked unconsious for 1/2 hr. Neck never the same - suprised nothing on MRI.
MRI report only said Normal exam for brain - no details @ all. Neuro said he wanted to look at it himself - really should make another apptmnt. Costs a lot of money - if I'd gone thru NHS I would not have seen him this year - major shortage of neuros here.
Had Severe case of Mono @ 19 - nearly died - in hospital long time - ended up with CFS until about 26yrs.
Not felt good sice back pain started. Post ure has been looked at by osteopath - learned to bend knees & stand up straight - some improvement, but still bad. As soon as pain starts, head starts to fog & can't think straight - very tired.
Bust size doubled after breast feeding (E - F cup) - pain started soon after - often wonder if this is a factor.
I am a painter - had a custom built easle made - designed with an ergonomist - also special chair - this has been a godsend for my work as I was ready to quit.
I'll leave it there for now - thanks again Demi & BTW, I was with you all the way on what you said to exhilleration - had to be said and one has to wonder about the choice of nickname.

Helpful - 0
Just remembered something odd - I had absolutely no thorasic pain during that 3 months, then it returned. Left foot toes moved by themseves at the end of it b4 just buzzing. 1st symptom was tingling & weak left thumb, then it spread after a week. Most symptoms lasted 2 to 4 weeks & new ones kept appearing over the duration. Neuro said no MS as it would definately have shown on the MRI - do you agree?
Helpful - 0
Forgot to ansa about tremors - they don't happen so much now - mostly happened early in the illness - think it was in both legs and left arm only - also in neck for a couple of days - it was at its worst when the tingling swept through my body & the weakness developed.
Symptoms calmed down dramaticly after 3 months - saw neuro 5 months - so I stopped tking the fluox 2 months after they subsided. Hmmmmmm.
Helpful - 0
I was told about a site yesterday to check about neurotoxic sensitivities.  I honestly haven't done so yet, but give it a look see.  One never has too much info.:)http://www.ioh.net/index.pl?page=97
Helpful - 0
I should add to the above info, that besides the buzzing toes & sight troubles, have headaches, dizziness,left ankle goes weak some days, fatigue, nausia that lasts for days & then disappears, ringing in ears & light sensitivity. I guess I focus more on the toes & sight because they are constant where the others are not.
I saw a very reputable osteopath fortnightly for a year prior to this illness - he tried hard to help me, but couldn't do much as I reacted badly to most manipulations - he said he felt there was something wrong with my nervous system before.
BTW, I noticed a large patch of brown pigment appear on the right side of my forehead shortly before starting the fluox. Naturopath recently said this is relevant and I should have hormone tests - doctor refused & prescribed sandomigran which turned me into a zombie.
Please Demi, any help you could give me would be so appreciated - I am a single mum to a six year old - no matter how possitive I try to be, life is hard and if I did'nt love my little girl and my work, I don't know how I'd survive.
Thanks, Sheila.
Helpful - 0
You're quite right Demi & thank you for bringing a sense of calm to the situation. The euphoria has worn off now and I was anxious to get home from work to add a few similar pointers - that this won't happen to everyone that takes these meds - that its usually due to a combo ( there was a 3 week crossover with Fluox & tramadol - the tramadol, if this is seratonin syndrome, does not appear to cause such severe symptoms as fluox, but still not good) and that very few people react like this to just one type of SSRI etc in their system. I freaked out because it all seemed to fit and then I felt angry because I've been through hell for 9 months and noone saw this as a possibility - then I wanted to shout it out to all these people who I read about daily who are going through similar to me.
I just spoke with my Pharmacist & he thought it was entirely possible as I do seem to be sensitive to many meds even tho I'm 6ft2 and well filled out.
What did you mean by 'MS = SSRIs generally'?
I had wondered about TOS, but its the bloodflow to the brain that I feel is restricted the most - drives me crazy - sometimes relieved by rolling on the floor and massage against the wall with a tennis ball. Never had an MRI to check whats causing pain, doctors just keep dishing out drugs -  don't think they take me too seriously as I don't take it lying down - I keep going no matter how bad it is - much worse physically & mentally if I stop. Xrays show arthritis @ T5/T6 - I'm only 37, but did way too much sport in teens.
Only had MRI w/o contrast of brain & drsal spinal chord to check for MS - only thing on report was small haemangioma in T1&2. All else normal - taken 3 months after onset when things had calmed down (I'm in NZ - things happen slow here) I have never seen the actual MRI - Saw neuro 2 months later - did'nt order any other tests - wants to wait & see - have'nt been back as I have not been as bad as I was - which is silly really as I am still very much affected - left toes still buzz 24/7 - they never stopped and eyes are no longer straight - I now wear glasses with a prism.
Don't know what I'll do now, apart from stopping the tramal - but I still need pain relief and panadol is not enough. Don't really trust my doctor anymore - shes lazy and you can't change here as there is a major shortge of GPs. Any suggestions?
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the clarification Demi. I thought tramadol was anagesic and amitrypalines used in a higher dosage I think for depression. I read the article but as I said my undiagnosed problems were there before any meds were prescribed. XXchris
Helpful - 0
Oh my goodness!  I couldn't believe my eyes when reading about your illness.  I take 40 mg of fluoxetine and since then have had many negative side effects.  I told the doc that I thought it was from the meds and she said no.  I go to see her tomorrow and was thinking of telling her I want off the med but now know definetly I will tell her.  Is there a need to wean myself off the drugs and if so how?  Hope to hear from you soon and good luck to you also thank you for your information.
Helpful - 0
I was on the cheap prozac to my nero did say it could cause the tremors but then changed my meds still haveing all the syptoms.
Helpful - 0
totally got the two different types of drugs confused. i apologize.
Helpful - 0
total got the two different types of drugs confused. i apologize.
Helpful - 0
ok maybe not the source that i first suspected.. but damn. this is scary.
Helpful - 0
VERY interesting. now that i think of it, my MS like PROBLEMS started AFTER i began taking naproxen 7 months ago for severe UNDIAGNOSED rib pain. Now, postop 7 days for TMJ surgery, (haven't had a BM in 8 days might i add.. GRRR) i have begun taking toradol every 6 hours. my ANXIETY (HA HA HA... says doctors) symptoms have gotten some what worse since. I'm gonna google Serotonin Syndrome now. Thanks!
Helpful - 0
I take generic elavil myself - and it does help the pain for fibromyalgia.  zzzzzz - thanks for that info - am going to goole right now!  BTW, I so agree with you on doc's just giving us a pill rather than researching the actual problem - not just the symptoms - I, personally, am sick of it.  I think my doc thinks i am a hypochondriac - as for the part about surfing the web - it is far from unhealthy - WE KNOW OUR BODIES BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE......atleast we are putting forth the effort to find the cause.  My neuro appt is at a teaching hospital 2 hours away - i'm hoping for the best - but trying not to get my hopes too high....time will tell.
Helpful - 0
Hi, Interesting I didnt know any of that stuff. Unfortunately I had my problems prior to being precribed tramadol, . Ive only recently been precribed them. I thought tramadol was an analgesic isnt it? I know amitrypaline is an antidepressent but its also used for nerve pain. Can you clarify whether tramadol is or is it an analgesic? thanks chris
Helpful - 0
But he did tell me to stop taking it as if I felt euphoric, there was no need for it! And now I've researched Serotonin Syndrome, and I really think thats what it may be - yes I stopped Fluox months ago, but then the back pain became intollerable once more, and the doc put me on Tramadol! another Serotonin upper - tho obviously not as bad. I asked the doc the other day if the tramol could be causing my worsening headaches and she said no! There are plenty of Medical, Pharmacutical, and Psychiatric sights with this info on them. AND MY DOCTOR TELLS ME ITS UNHEALTHY TO SURF THE NET FOR ANSWERS!.
I feel angry that this has never been identified as a possibility for me. All the articles say this condition is potentially lethal and not even my neuro knew about it! The fact is, that many of us who have health problems enough as it is, are fed a whole lot of drugs and we end up not knowing what feels right any more - and then when you get a diagnosis like complicated migraine, your doctor can then name that as the cause of everything that happens to you - and then they give you more drugs!
Anyway, I'll stop ranting now and go and wait for the euphoria from today's dose of Tramadol (my last!) to wear off.
Go Google!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.