Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

flu like symptoms but not the flu

I have had a recurring flu-like illness (virus?) off and on for the last 4 months. It feels like a cold coming on - slightly sore throat and slightly stuffy nose. Then it progresses to aching joints, very fatigue with flu-like stiffness and a very hoarse voice but no fever, phlegm or coughing and no runny nose. It lasts anywhere from 4 days to 3 weeks.
After the second bout of it, I went to the doctor who did a blood test for mono and checked for thyroid; also did a chest xray to rule out pneumonia but I had no coughing or mucus so this didn't seem likely. The tests returned no results.
I have kind of a weak immune system - had encephelitis 20 years ago, pneumonia 7 years ago and shingles 5 years ago. I am, otherwise, very healthy (doesn't sound like it, I know), non smoker, moderate alcohol, no stress and get very regular exercise.
wondering if anyone out there has had an experience with something like this.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
No offense taken - Yes, I have been stable on meds for quite some time.  I have bipolar II disorder which doesn't include severe mania - I have what they call Hypo-mania.  I haven't had a severe point in more than a year.  I see my psychiatrist once a month for med management - and I am in psychotherapy - almost a year to deal with the depression and molestation.  I am certainly in agreement with you on the fact that mental disorders - whether it be depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder - whatever - absolutely cause physical symptoms - I wish it were that simple for me at this point. Regardless, I appreciate your suggestions! Take care
Helpful - 0
MELK - just thinking maybe u should get tested for some kind of immune deficiency or immune disease.... good luck

CHARLEY1986 - so i read ur other posts, i know u suggested it to melk but i was curious. i was just wondering if u have ever had a psyc. review, i'm just thinking that one would be needed in ur case, mental disorders can cause many physical symptoms or delusions that something is seriously wrong when everything is in normal range except ur mental state..... good luck... and remember the psyc. evalution (sp?) (review) is only a suggestion.
Helpful - 0
Hi, to me, it sounds like there's a chance you might have fibromyalgia...when i have a flare up it feels like I have the flu - the whole achey feeling - sometimes slight fever, big time FATIGUE, and immune system problems go along with all of it.  You can google it and read all the symptoms yourself.  I went to lots of docs and they all told me the same thing.  Even a rheumatologist - but now I have started with a whole different ballgame...it's a long story - read some of my other posts.  I hope that this is not what it is - but if you are like me - it will make you feel "somewhat" better to atleast have a name for it - although, in my personal opinion, Fibromyalgia is a name they give you when they have no clue what's going on......
Hope this helps some...best wishes
Helpful - 0
It could be an allergy?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.