Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

i just don't understand

my doctor suspects that i have diverticulitis, but i don't understand why i would have this problem because i am only 23 and relatively healthy otherwise. i am on antibiotics because of the bleeding and pain and waiting for more tests (the waiting lists here are in desperate need of help!!)
why at only 23 would i be having a problem like this?
can anyone shed some light on this for me?
thankx in advance, shyan
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Diverticulitis and diverticulosis was started.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I think antibiotics start working in 3 days. Anyway hope your scan goes ok. At least yo should know where you stand then. Come back and let us know what they say. Take Care Chris
Helpful - 0
well i guess i might find out soon, i had blood in my stools yesterday so they r going to do my ultrasound today instead of sept.1. my doc put me on an antibiotic yesterday, could it start to work after just 1 dose?. i'm still having pain in my lower left side but no blood this mornling so far(thank god!)
so i guesss i just wondering if the antibiotic is working already?
he has me on metronidazole, 500mg 3 times a day for 7 days (i think) it says untill finish but i think it's for 7 days.
Helpful - 0
Diverticulitis can be caused by not drinking anough water.  My Dad had it last year.  He's a really healthy eater - lots of veggies and fibre - but his doc told him that he has to drink more water to push the fibre through his intentines.  What happened is a chunk of semi-digested food got stuck against the wall of his intestine and caused a little pouch there - kind of like a drain being partially blocked - he could feel the pouch through his stomach and it was sore to the touch.  He was prescribed something (sorry, I can't recall what) to help dissolve it, and told to drink lots of water.  It went away in a couple of weeks.
Helpful - 0
Hi, Thought I,d reasure you your not the only one to have this kind of problem in your 20s . I don't know whether you have a similar thing to what I had in my twenties but I had terrible abdominal pain when I was your age. Anyway turned out to be appendicitus and also what is known as Meckels Diverticulum. Apparentely its a congentital defect. Basically small pouch in bowel created whilst developing as a fetus inside your mum due to parts of the umbilical cord not being absorbed before you are born.  Its unusual for it to cause problems at an early age but treatment if it flares up is antibiotics. It only caused me problems really at the same time as my appendics and they removed it . I think an xray can be used to diagnose it. Ask your Gp . Its a simple enough request if its not this theres no harm done is there. Try and eat a high fibre diet. Take Care Chris
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.