Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My 5 Year old nephew

Hello,

I have a 5 yr old nephew that I becoming increasingly concerned about.
He has always walked on his toes. If I am not mistaken he walks on them almost 100% of the time.
Another area of concern (because is seems to be abnormal) is that when he watches TV, he does it standing up most of the time and is super focused on the show but jumps/hops up and down the entire time. He also does this when he is excited when telling you something. He has become OVERLY obsessive about TV, movies, and computer games though his Mom(my sis) is good to limit him. He still constantly obsesses though. In general, he is very "ADD-like" and obsessive in personality. He's a sweetheart and a real lover, but these things just seem wrong somehow.
Does anyone here know what these things might mean??

Thanks in advance for any input or comments you might have.

Mindy
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't think the tv watching was your concern.sounds like your sis limits that, I got that it is HOW he watches it? The walking on tippy toes al the time is worth looking into too. Does your sis bring it up? Would she be willing to have him evaluated? It's touchy to suggest someone's child needs evaluating, especially a family member, hopefully you can find a way without her getting defensive. I would take him to a trusted pediatrician not a psychiatrist first, if a psychiatrist is needed the pediatrician can refer you to one. I'd want to rule out anything organic and I would imagine the ped. might want him evaluated by a pediatric neurologist. Find the best you can, that is always the key to a good diagnosis.
Usually when your gut is telling you something is wrong, it is.
Then again, what you describe could be normal too, I am sure you would have to observe it to even begin to analyse it.
What a sweet Auntie he has, good luck with getting some answers.
I'm suprised his teachers haven't brought it up, is he in school?

Helpful - 0
My doctor once told me a child should not watch more then 1 hour of tv if any. You have all reason to be worried.
Helpful - 0
It sounds more like an autistic spectrum disorder. If he is a good talker, it is more likely Asperger's Syndrome. This is generally like high functioning Autism, with relatively good speech patterns. Does he get agitated more easily than other boys his age? Is he hard to calm down if he gets upset or agitated? Whatever it is, as far as diagnosis, you do have a reasonable reason to be concerned. Try to encourage your sis to have him evaluated by a good child psychiatrist. Many of these types of problems can be managed through behavoir modification, and occupational therapy. It is not usually necessary to give a child medication unless nothing else is helping.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.