Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Re fluconazole

As a recent result of boil outbreaks Ive been on two lots of different antibiotics. I ended up with thrush in the mouth and down below. My Gp gave me one tablet of fluconazole oral. Its 3 days since I took it and its made no difference. What do I do now go back to my Gp or try something like Lacto Aciophilus supplements from the health shop. Ive been told this is the good bacteria that your body produces and its whats in plain yoghurt. Can anyone tell me if this is true I,d appreciate advise please.
18 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks Bonnie. I went to shops today and stocked up with some fresh lemons,yoghurts and I bought some more fluconazol from the chemist as I couldnt get an appntmt till 4th july and my gp wouldnt leave a script without seeing me. (I already use mouthwash)Hope I don't need any more at
Helpful - 0
127512 tn?1193742216
I read somewhere last week about the lemon water. I tried it and it seemed to work. I also brush my tongue well and gargle with mouthwash. I also got me some yogert.
Helpful - 0
Hi your right changing Drs impossible. I live in a rural area so your stuck with the same Dr basically unless I move . Just one of those things eh. XXchris
Helpful - 0
Hi Starqueen Thank you for your comments as I mentioned earler I do appreciate the advice. I think a combination of the advice given by yorself, Demi,and myproblem may do the trick I hope so anyway. . I will get some more flucanzole I think and try lemon juice and yoghurt. I am prone to getting thrush after antibiotics but not oral thrush never had that before and its a nuisance. Take Care Chris
Helpful - 0
If you can't laugh at yourself, you just might cry. Hope the thrush is going away. I agree with Demi that you're a mystery to your Dr. and the antibiotics were just a guess. I suppose it's very hard for you to get a new Dr. with your government health plan.
Helpful - 0
Fluconazole is an antifungal commonly purchased as Diflucan.  It is generally prescribed for candidiasis in the throat, urinary tract, or vagina.  If you took an antibiotic before the Diflucan, the bacteria that keeps the fungus in balance were killed off enough to allow the fungus to grow out of hand causing you an infection.  Taking more antibiotics will make the candidiasis worse.  Diflucan will reduce the fungus, but until you grow enough "good" bacteria to control the fungus and retain balance, you will keep the candidiasis.  Yogurt will help "grow" normal bacteria in the gut when you are in good shape and will help keep you healthy.  When the bacteria is very low in number, it will not do alot in getting you over the infection.  It may take several prescriptions of fluconazole to keep the fungus under control until the bacteria grows back.  In the meantime, you can drink lemon water to help control the swelling and pain in the throat.  You will need a real lemon, not packaged juice.  Strain the juice one large, or two small lemons into about 20oz of water and drink.  No sugar or sweetner.  This should be sour and very acidic.  Lemon juice will draw fluids out of the swollen tissues in the throat, reducing the inflammation and edema.  At the same time, the acid will numb the pain receptors so the pain is reduced.  You should be able to swallow better.  The vitamin C is good for what ails you and it won't interfer with the meds at all.  You can drink all you want.  Hope this helps
Helpful - 0
Demi I agree with myproblem I did ask was it folliculitus to which Dr replied Hmm don't think so! I will give you antibiotics and yes  I only started with thrush after both lots of antibiotics so perhaps its knocked my immune system out of sync.  My children are all adults so no children living with me. I have to be careful with hygiene anyway as my husband has several health problems himself . Hes just finished another course of chemotherapy so I,ve always been really careful with hygiene . My flats been fully adapted due to my severe mobility problems as I can only stand for 5 minutes at a time and can only walk for short distances. We look after each other if you know what I mean . Heres an example might make you and myproblem laugh The light fitting on our wall fell off I,m trying to hold it but because I have myoclonus was jumping up and down and my hubbys trying to put the screw in the wall but hes got really bad tremors WELL you can imagine we both ended up laughing as we couldn,t do it! Had to wait till one of my sons finished work. Would have made a good family Video eh. Taa as usual for the advice its always appreciated . That goes for my problem as well. Take Care XXChris
Helpful - 0
I believe in Reg. medicine/OTC/naturopathics all have a place
but I'm baffled abt your doc. I think doc did/didn't know what
your problem was so gave you antibiotics? These can create
yeast/thrush/rashes/etc. Then to correct new problem, you were
given anti-fungal rx that's not working yet? The antibiotics
may have suppressed immune system so much, it created new things. Myproblem was correct. Folliculitis causes boils and
carbuncles (clustered boils). They have Staph Aureus & Augmentin
cures fast but is another antibiotic that 'I' wouldn't add to
problem. Don't know what you're feeling but a sign of type 1
diabetes can be a few boils. You would have to have poor hygiene
& over 40 w/ other symptoms. Thrush can be transferred to vagina
& eating utensils simply like many germs. Only takes a touch to
mouth & then to bathroom to effect vagina. Whatever you got 1st,
the Fluconazole should've cleared in 3 days unless you have it
possibly on towels, etc. & it's repeating. Color code your stuff
all the way to eating forks. Get busy w/ warm compresses on that
eye for 30 min. several times day. Don't burn skin! Best I've
found is buy a sm. hot/cold pak & wrap in wet washcloth then in
the micro 1 min & turn over to repeat. Heat lasts long time.
Time may vary so start @ 30 secs. ea. side. Damp will draw. Dry
cloth will irritate. Boil anything you use. Heat on boils will
normally drain on their own in 3days. Tea Tree Oil is good (OTC)
I think is in UK, for using after heat on boils. For Thrush,
hm-remedy is frequent gargles/rinses w/ 1/2tsp salt in 8oz of
warm water. Make sure you don't transfer compress while warm
from 1 boil to another. You will transfer germs. Wash hands alot
as I'm sure they're raw by now! If you have recent lab copies,
ck. glucose # to see if OK. If this doesn't clear soon, call
Dr. & ask if it's a basic glucose test or glucose Tolerance
test. Last one takes all day. If ya' have kids, they may have to
keep from kissing mom on face or anywhere there's a boil. Don't
know how many you have but I'm guessing it was the antibiotics
suppressing system bad & she's covering base w/ diabetes tests.
Try hm-remedies & try for another Fluconazole. If answers no,
complain louder. Miconazole won't help mouth so go for the pill.
Remember to wash tub w/ bleach rinse after bath to protect kids.
Sounds awful but it's like don't come near me, I've got the flu
or something. Take care but work on that eye first & wear
glasses if you have to so you don't touch it. I know you're on
NHS so I think they forgot to read your file or? Assert yourself
for the pill & then we'll try the diabetes thing. Gd-luck kiddo.

Helpful - 0
Thanks Demi. I will try and call my gp see if I can get another script if not if I can buy it over the counter or something. I haven't got a clue whats going on really at the moment and I don't think the Gp has either. I had infected groin glands and blood and bacteria in my water specimen plus chronic back and abdominal pain. I mentioned folliculitus to her because myproblem mentioned it but she said they were boils and they were all blind (quite large) I have been really careful about hygiene to the point of being paranoid. I have bought some hibiscrub to use when I have a shower. Don't know if this is good or what? My gp has scheduled a diabetus test for the 27th and repeat urine analysis but I honestly don't think its diabetis related. Ive got a large ulcer on my inner eyelid come up this morning as well as thrush both ends . I can't complain too much there are others on here much worse than I am but any advice is always appreciated.  .Maybe I,m a bit run down or something what do you think? Chris
Helpful - 0
Yogurt is not a myth. It does contain the good bacteria you need. If the thrush is bad though, it may have a very slow effect. Eat 8 ounces every day of unsweetened yogurt. Aso, cut out sweets as much as possible, and drink a lot of water. Fluconazole also comes in different strengths from 50-200 mg. I do agree that sometimes it takes more than one dose. There are also Mycelex Lozenges you can get that make the medicine coat your mouth, but I gagged on them, so good luck with those. I used to have chronic thrush and I had the most luck with yogurt, because I actually like plain yogurt.
Helpful - 0
Yogurt is a myth.  It doesn't really work.  Sometimes it takes 2 doses of fluconazole to work.  Call your doc and he should be able to call in another dose for you.
Try swishing your mouth with Maalox, the antacid.  It helps to relieve the pain of the sores in your mouth.  Don't swallow it, though.
Helpful - 0
My sister has this problem everytime she has to take antibiotic
rx's. Tried everything. Was told from her research, yogurt helps
boost body from the inside out. She uses it in smoothies & yuk
in regular flavor. If no relief in 3 days from 150mg dose of the
Fluconazole, you need a call in of 2nd dose now. To catch up w/
1st pill. 2 week wait will be a cost waste. It works for both
thrush/yeast infect. Generic Miconazole OTC takes 7 days &
vaginal cream is inserted, alittle messy but will control a rash
that may start. Don't use in mouth! Had to say, since someone will jump on that. Also, Not ALL yogurt sold has 'active culture
in it'. Plus if outdated, that culture dies. That's the healthy
stuff. Another suggestion is to get a script of 'Nystatin' ea.
time you get antibiotic rx. It's generic for Mycostatin & very
cheap. She takes 1 tab 3xday 1 hr from Antibiotic. Your quick
fix is another call-in script to start now of Fluconazole. They
know what's cause of thrush & yeast. Should try to get to a Dr/lab, however UK wks., & see if they can aspirate some boil
content.ID it & make sure you're on correct rx. Do they know why
these are happening? Usually it's from a hair follicle. Use hot
compresses frequently & call Dr. if notice any re-lines moving
out from outer edges. Generally means anti-rx isn't wking & it
may be spreading. Wash hands alot after using heat & use fresh
cloth ea. time since some bacteria may transfer. Took sis' 1 yr
to get routine down. You are really having some problems!
Helpful - 0
I don't no whether it works or not that was the question I was asking really. Thanks for your input though it is appreciated obviousely everyone has there own opinion. I,m just sick of tablets for this that and the other at the moment. If the mind over matter works I will try it on my legs . Be great if I could get them to work normally (joke) taa for the comments Chris
Helpful - 0
Truly, I've experimented with yogurt before...in conjunction with other things.  I always thought it worked, until Dr H. said that it didn't.  Maybe its a case of mind over matter?  You know, the placebo effect.  If you think it works, maybe it will.
Helpful - 0
Thanks but what I dont understand is why so many well women clinics in the Uk advocate the use of yoghurt for thrush . Its a catch 22 really . I take a lot of meds as it is so I was reluctant to take any more if you know what I mean.  I know some Drs say they don't work but obviousely for some people they do .Why do you think thats the case ?
Helpful - 0
"The problem is that the lactobacillus speces in the vagina shares name only with Lactobacillus casei and others normally found in dairy products; they are entirely different bacteria. The lactobacilli in yogurt do not survive in the vagina and have no effect in treatment or health protection. Even supposedly physiologic vaginal lactobacilli (marked in certain health food stores or via the internet) do not survive in the vagina."

This is a quote from Dr. HHH.  Just FYI.
Helpful - 0
Hi Glad2bamom Thanks for the comments. Think I will go down the natural root for now as Getting an apptmnt takes two weeksat my Drs.
Myproblem Thanks The natural way seems to have worked for you. I hate yoghurt but I might try getting some lacto acidophilus supplements from the health shop . This is supposed to be the same bacteria that live natural yoghurt has. If anyone knows any different please tell me.
Thanks all comments appreciated.
Helpful - 0
I think if you'll research over on Dr H's forum, he says unequivocally that yogurt is not effective.  Just relying on the docs advice.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.