Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Muscle Cramps

I get charlie horses in my shin muscles when I eat fruit. It didn't used to be this way but in the past year it is getting worse. I eat very healthy, no sugar or processed foods. All my fruits, vegetables and meats are organic.
Thank you for any advice!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
445362 tn?1206965718
This was an old post I see, but the tempation to comment is overwhelming as I see the newest post by you is intriguing. How did you happen upon this old post by the way, that is amazing. Well if this is truly happening, then maybe you are getting an improper balance of potassium as opposed to other electrolytes and minerals. Having too much potassium in your body can be toxic, as is too much calcium, too much salt, etc etc. etc. Have you tried taking magnesium supplements. This helps for certain muscle cramping for some people (it has certainly reduced my misery). But, as for eating fruit...maybe you are eating too much of it or need to research your diet a bit more to see exactly what is in it and what you are getting from it nutrient wise. TallyHO and Happy Easter
Helpful - 0
Wow! Everyone thinks I am crazy when I explain to them that I get muscle cramps in my toes EVERYTIME I eat fruit or drink fruit juices. I am 26 and this has been happening to me since I was an adolescent. I would really like to know why this happens b/c everyone tells me that it should be the opposite...eat fruit to prevent cramps. Crazy.
Helpful - 0
I eat alot of different kinds of fruits  watermelon, apples, plums, banana's, pineapples... I do the same things pretty much every day. It only happens after I eat fruit and only in my shins. Could I have to much potassium? I have celiac disease could that be it? I don't take meds nor do I drink or smoke. I take excellent care of myself. I don't eat sugar or table salt only celtic sea salt. I eat only organic fruits, vegetables and meat. I excersize 3-4 times a week and have an active life.
Helpful - 0
What kind of fruit or fruit juices do you think are causing these cramps? Cooked or raw fruit? What are you doing just before (last 3 hours) you eat the fruit?
Helpful - 0
I'm 47 and the spasms only occur after I eat fruit... no other time.
Helpful - 0
Charlie horse and shin splints are not caused by eating fruit.  They are muscle contractions due to lactic acid buildup in the muscle tissue.  If you are a teenager, they may be caused from a condition called Osgood Schlatter's (an xray will diagnose)which is a separation of the muscle from the bone on the tibia, just below the kneecap.  Teenagers "grow out of it" by the age of 18. Lactic acid is produced by the muscle for energy during exercise.  If you are exercising, like aerobics, biking, etc. and suddenly stop playing, you may still have some lactic acid in the muscle that is causing it to contract and give you a charlie horse.  Try doing some warm-down exercises or just walk for 15 minutes or so after a heavy exercise to use up the extra lactic acid and you should be fine.  good luck
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.