Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

sores on my throat---possible streo---mono??????????????????

I have had trouble lately with my lymphnodes swelling and just yesterday the roof of my moth has a large swelling on it with a sore that seems to be spreading from there to my throat....I am completly fatigued, really bad sore throatI have never had this such thing happen to me----I am a little confused and worried----can someone please help me make sense of this..................

Giddychic
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,

By mono I guess you refer to Infectious mononucleosis, more commonly known as glandular fever in other English-speaking countries. It occurs most commonly in adolescents and young adults, where it is characterized by fever, sore throat, muscle soreness, and fatigue. Infectious mononucleosis typically produces a mild illness in small children, and is often asymptomatic. Mononucleosis is predominantly caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), which infects B cells (B-lymphocytes), producing a reactive lymphocytosis predominantly consisting of atypical lymphocytes, a specific type of T-cell that gives the disease its name.

A diagnosis of Mono can be established through examination and tests. Though, the EBV virus may remain dormant for some time and resurface at a later date. Please confirm this from a doctor though it is clear that the disease may be resurfacing of a previous infection.

You can get more information at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis

Best regards
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your input----I did go to the doctor I am taking a anti-virul medication for chicken pox/shingles------but know strep throat-----even though my throat looked awful!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Please go get a strep culture.  If it is strep, it will NOT get better w/o antibiotics!

Take care!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.