Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Mystery Illness - gastro, pulmonary, and neurological troubles

I've been sick for 2 and a half years now, and no one can seem to agree on what's causing this.  It started out when I couldn't stop throwing up, and I ended up losing 50 pounds.  All gastro stuff has come back normal (endoscopy, gastric emptying, CT).  About a year ago, I started not being able to breathe, and when I would walk, my saturation would drop as low as 62% and I would have to lie down.  Lung function testing shows decent numbers, but there is no point where I pause between exhaling and inhaling.  And I can't make myself do so.  Back in February of this year, my doctor gave me a z-pack because I had a sinus infection and an ear infection, and all of a sudden, I was eating three meals every day and gaining some weight back.  But when it wore off, I ran a fever of 103-104 for several days and returned to constant nausea and exhaustion.  So I talked with my other doctor about this and have been trying antibiotic therapy with 1500 mg of amoxycillin per day for three months.  We just switched that to 500mg of Cefaclor per day.  This illnses has also started to affect my brain, especially things like short-term memory and word comprehension.  Now, today, I got sent home from work because my boss saw that I was completely too sick to be there, and even though I felt feverish and my muscles ache, my temp registers at 94.3.  Anyone have any ideas on why I continue to be so nauseous and unable to get any better, or on why the z-pack worked but nothing else seems to do the same trick?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
you might want to see a endochronologist to check for addison's disease that could also explain why you did much better on z pack, he needs to check your cortisol and acth level.
good luck
i have been sick for 1 1/2 yrs with nausea, vomitting, epigastric pain, not hungry at all, have to take med to give me an appetite,low bp,debilatating weakness, and skin itching, and now heart pounding and short of breath with no diagnosis, i lost down to 99lbs and gained 20lbs back i lost total of 43lbs and i lost 23lbs in 31 days, still have no answer
bevann59
Helpful - 0
I have an undiagnosed illness and it's very difficult. My advice is to go to a teaching hospital and start from scratch.  You do have a medical problem for sure.

I told myself when the problem gets bad enough it will reveal itself. I've been unDX for 14 years.  There are many things that cause neausea and it may not be stomach. Keep searching and google your symptoms.
Helpful - 0
What kind of tests have you had?  It sounds like you need a major workup, including sed rate and autoimmune tests. Some autoimmune illnesses can cause fever and memory/brain function problems.
Helpful - 0
I've had....an endoscopy, numerous abdomenal CTs, many blood draws, two arterial blood gases, x-rays, gastric emptying study, upper GI series, barium x-rays, head MRI (cuz my dad died of a brain tumor), EMG, and a neuropsychological evaluation.

Endoscopy was fine - showed irritation, which we expected cuz of the massive throwing up.  Abdomenal CTs were ok. X-rays ok.  Gastric Emptying Study was actually faster than expected, but not of concern.  Head MRI was clear.  Upper GI clear.  Neuropsyc showed the memory loss and struggles with words, but otherwise ok.

Blood numbers have fluctuated a lot.  I keep trying to see the blood guys because of it, but so far, no one will take me on.  Alkalotic according to the ABGs.  I also found it interesting that my calcium level tends to run high even though I'm lactose intolerant and don't have milk or anything with calcium in it.  I also have to drink Pedialyte at least one bottle a week (but usually 2) or I get REALLY bad.
Helpful - 0
I wish I could give you some ideas - I just don't have a clue.  But I would find myself another doctor that would pursue this issue with aggression.  I wish you well.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.