Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Fibromyalgia and brain lesions

I have been having problems with migraines for many years. In the last 6 months or so I have also been experiencing memory loss and problems with getting messages from my brain to my arms/hands and legs/feet. My neurologist ordered a MRI w & w/o contrast in Feb. and there was one lesion. The radiologist suggested it be done again in 3 months. I had it done again in May. This time there were at least 7 lesions, 4 on one side & 3 on the other. I do not smoke or drink & I do not have high blood pressure. My neurologist at first was concerned it could be MS, but said that the lesions were caused by my migraines, if that were the case, wouldn't I have felt the migraine at the time. I am a 45y.o.w.f. living in the south. I have problems with my vision blurring at times, I have trouble walking straight and I often get the shakes. I have recently had my vision & hearing tested, both came back fine. I do have fibromyalgia and suffer with many of the problems that go along with that. I also feel as though I have things crawling on me, but there is nothing there. My feet fall asleep even when I am walking and I often have a twitching in my right eyelid. I am very tired in the evening and often fall asleep before dinner. I have even been having some trouble with tightness in my chest. I have given you all the information I can think of right now. One other question. Do brain lesions come and go or do they stay and others come? I know on the first MRI there was an area of demylenation; as I was leaving from the 2nd MRI the lady that ran the test asked me if I was on anything for it
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for your comments. I am currently waiting for the radiologist that did the MRIs to send me the report after reading the second MRI while comparing it to the first one. It should have been done immediately, but the disc they had saved it to was currupted and the films were already at my neurologist's office. After seeing my neurologist after the second MRI, he gave me the films and I carried them back to the radiologist. I want to know what he thinks about the two in comparison. I have an appointment with a neuro-psychologist on the 6th of July for testing and then I see my neurologist again on the 13th. Maybe between the new report from the radiologist and the report from the neuro-psychologist he will have more answers for me.

My family doctor is an osteopath and he wants me to make an OMT appointment with him so he can try and help me with some of the pain and muscle tension. I really hope he can. By the way, I do take medication to prevent migraines as well as medication to take if I get one; plus a lot of other medications as well.
Helpful - 0
Hi - I have to agree with above postings - I also have been diagnosed with complicated migraines and, just recently, fibromyalgia. 10 months ago, I supposedly had a migraine aura that lasted 3 months - had all kinds of hideous symptoms like weak limbs, tingling, numbness, double vision, vertigo, clusiness etc etc. Naturally thought it was MS, but no - clear MRI. So, neuro said only thing that fits is complicated migraine - I said can't be - only had about 5 day long headaches in 3 months - he said, if you are prone to migraines, there are often canges in the pattern as you get older - it is normal to start experiencing migraines without the headache. Did'nt believe him until I looked it all up on the net and confirmed it. 2 things - you need preventative meds to control the episodes if you are not already taking them and, have you tried osteopathy? - I have seen afew in my time - had problems since a head & neck injury 20 years ago. The latest one seems to be making a difference - said my atlas joint (where skull meets spine) is jammed and this is causes migraine and lots of other problems - all of which I have had. He treated it last week - have not had a migraine since and my muscles feel almost relaxed for the first time in years! (Note - he did NOT do adjustments - said this would only make it worse in the long run - used myofascial release only) Dizziness is also mostly gone. while Its too early to tell if this will last, I am really hopeful for my future again. Best of luck.
Helpful - 0
I agree with h2h - I have fibro as well - and have all the stuff that goes with it.  But at the same time, I think maybe you should have had a spinal done to rule MS out completely.  My cousin and aunt both have MS - and the whole unsteady gait and messages not getting to limbs was one of their first signs.  I mean, my neuro thinks I may have "complicated migraines" as well - and I have heard that this can sometimes cause lesions - so......Anyway, I think just for my peace of mind I would ask about doing the spinal - especially if you are still experiencing some of those same symptoms.
Helpful - 0
I have fibro and migraines so I understand what you're going through. I had some lesions on my mri in 1994 but the've since disappeared on subsequent MRIs.  So they may very well go away and yes, they can be caused by migraines.  Sometimes migraines are silent, occuring without pain but with other symptoms such as numbness or confusion. Now what does your neurologist say about these lesions?  You should be under the care of a neurologist to monitor these symptoms.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.