Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Dizziness and loss of vision in the Morning

I am a nineteen year old woman. About 6 months ago I started experiencing dizziness and loss of vision in the morning. When I get out of bed, I take a few steps and suddenly this intense feeling of pressure and dizziness take over my body. My vision then blurs and turns black from the outside fading in until I can no longer see. After about 10 second these symptoms lift and my vision clears, restoring my sight and unfading from the inside out. At first it only occurred in the morning, but now I experience a lessened version of these symptoms when I am sitting or laying down for small periods of time. As of recently I
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was diagnosed with psudotumor last September.  I was having problems with either tunnel vision, or at times total loss of vision in one eye.  I went to the eye doctor to see about glaucoma, as someone had suggested that it sounded like glaucoma.  My optic nerves were swollen in both eyes being pressed into the eye from behind.  I had an MRI and MRA as my other conditions could result in an anurism.  They did extensive bloodwork to rule out infection and nutritional problems.  The result is that they figure it is because I am overweight, and my body is making fluid faster than my body absorbs it. I have had three spinal taps with pressures of 34, 29, and most recently in March, 35.  I am now waiting for an appointment with a surgeon to figure out which surgery would be best for me.  I am wondering if you have had any luck with your diagnosis, and what has worked.  I was on Diamox all this time, but it hasn't worked.

Jo150408
Helpful - 0
144586 tn?1284666164
Your symptoms suggest a condition that often results in postural syncope (or blacking out). The likelihood is you have what are called abnormal orthostatic signs.

When a normal person stands up, the muscles surrounding the vasulature in the legs react by squeezing the blood upwards. This decreases the so-called body capacitance, increasing the blood pressure. There is about a liter plus of blood squeezed upwards in both legs. When this does not happen, the brain and optic nerve are momentarily deprived of oxygen and nutrients. This is what is causing the dizziness and loss if vision. After a while the muscles contract, and the blood supply to the brain normaloizes.

The big question is, why are your muscles not compensating?

Often there is a serious disease behind the problem, such as Parkinson's.

Sometimes the problem is simply a combination low low-calcium levels, iron-deficiency anemia and dehydration.

You need a thorough examination to determine the reason for this.
Helpful - 0
I am 21 years old and the same thing been happening to me, i have gone to doctors and they can not find anything. if you get a good answer to your symptoms please let me know.

Helpful - 0
Have you been to an opthamologist to check your eyes? A doctor can tell a lot by looking at your retina. I had a partial loss of vision 10 years ago and I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri. The doc found I had a swollen optic nerve. Are you overweight? This condition is mostly found in overweight young women. If your eyes are ok, then a visit to the neurologist may be in order.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.