Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Shoulder problem - recurring partial dislocation

I'm 44 and for a few years now have been having a very intermittent problem with my left shoulder where it seems to partly dislocate then pop back in again (I believe this is called a subluxation). It can be incredibly painful and if it's a bad occurrence the shoulder and even the arm can be painful for at least a few hours, maybe even days.

Unfortunately the time that it usually happens is when I'm asleep and lying on my left side - I can wake up shouting with the pain and shock of it. This used to only happen once every few months, but lately it's been happening about once a week. If I can avoid lying on my left side (tricky when you're asleep!) then it's okay. I say it happens when I'm asleep, but sometimes during day to day activities if I twist or stretch my arm awkwardly it will also occur. Lifting a heavy object above my head can also cause this seemingly partial dislocation of the shoulder joint.

I must admit that I'm not a fit person (I'm not overweight though) - I get about zero exercise and my work involves the repair of circuit boards, so very few muscles get exercised from that!

Is there anything that I can do to minimise the problem? Avoiding sleeping on my left side seems like a good idea, but that seems difficult to put into practice!

Would it be worth strapping up my left arm in some form when I go to bed to avoid it moving into a position that will perhaps cause the problem?

I should say that I'm right handed and have no problems at all with my right shoulder (perhaps because the muscles are slightly better developed?).
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i have had 2 shoulder ops on my right shoulder because of dislocation.it popped out again the other day playing sport but i got it backin place straight away.i am only 26 and wud go mad without sport.wat next or is tis last dislocation anything to worry about?this was the 1st time it dislocated in 3 years since last operation..
Helpful - 0
I just had surgery on a shoulder that has dislocated more than once.  If you have ever gone to the hospital for it and still have the sling, just straping the bicep and then the corset part has worked for me.  Also, the shoulder surgery did a great job of tightening up the ligaments and tendons.
Helpful - 0
Hi try doing some exercises to strenthen your shoulder muscles. If your ligements are quite stretchy your shoulder may just slip when you turn in your sleep. This is a much better idea than it eventually fully dislocating. If you strengthen the muscles in your shoulder they should keep the joint in place. Hope this helps. Chris
Helpful - 0
sorry i know how you feel sew a tennis ball in the back part of your sleeping shirt or take material and wrap in cloth and pin to back of shirt so when you sleep you probably start off on right side when you forget while you are sleeping this will push your shoulder forward or remind you to roll back over..  Hope this helps.   good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.