Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

vicodin

My dr prescribed vicodin for my back 2 days ago.  The bottle says I should take 1 every 6 hours, but the pain comes back intensely after 4.  I have a cyst on my tailbone, and I was wondering if it was safe to take the vicodin any earlier due to intense pain? please help!
in serious pain,   mandy
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You should call your Dr. and tell him that your pain comes back after 4 hours and ask him if you can take it more often.

He could change you meds so you could have pain relieve for 12 hours. This meds are time release very helpfull.

If you take the vicodin more often it could cause constipation, if it does drink lots of water 6-8 glasses a day and increase your fiber in your diet or you could take a mild laxative.

Take Care :) and use the vicodin wisely don't over do it, addiction could be 100x more painfull that the pain its curing.

Also the acetaminophen (Tylenol) in it can damage the liver the maximun dose of it is 4,000mg or 4 grams. Usually vicodin has 500, but theres vicodin ES which has 750 and vicodin HP which has 660mg.

I would recommend to use vicodin and motrin or a stronger NSAID in between doses and take the vicodin every six hours. Try that and tell your dr.
Helpful - 0
Also, be very careful with it.  It is addictive, but you should be fine as long as you're taking it only for pain.
Helpful - 0
maybe you could call the pharmacist if your dr office isnt open till monday and ask about what over the counter pain med you could take with it.
Helpful - 0
Yes, it's always best to consult your DR. or pharmacist.. when i am prescribed vicodin, whether it be 5/500 OR 10/325, i have the option of taking 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours.

I have never really had an issue with the constipation, but if you do, get alot of extra fiber in your diet, or take a gentle laxative like colaise(sp)
Helpful - 0
I'm confused. Do you have a cyst or a bulge in your sacral
that showed up on a MRI? Where is the pain radiating from?
Tailbone when sitting or lower lumbar? Do you have a copy of report to read? Get a copy for a hm-health file. Size of sacral
cyst must be good sz. to be causing alot of pain. Get more info.
It may be compressing & hitting a nerve or a lower disk is
shifting. What dosage are you taking? Don't take any OTC's w/o calling ofc. They can mix & cause stomache pain or ulcers.
Avoid aspirin.
Helpful - 0
Mandy,
We are not qualified to advise regarding narcotics.
Please call either your physician or a pharmacist for information.

Wishing you the best,
Carol

p.s.  You may find that taking Vicodin several times per day will cause constipation.  This is because it slows down peristalsis, the movement of the small bowel and the large bowel.
If this is a problem, ask your doctor what he/she recommends.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.