Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hypothyroid, possible p.c.o.d. ? may have mixed connective tissue disorder?

well, i previously posted my extream hair loss issue, adult acne, course male hairs on throat and jaw line, im on synthroid for my hypothyroid disease, and my levels are normal now, however i have positive titers, ana, speckeled pattern, etc... all seem to point to lupas, yet the actual lupas test is negative. it was mentioned to me that it sounds like possible polycystic ovarian disease, some of the symptoms seem exact, yet others don't match.i'm 37yrs old, 5'9", 160lbs. i've never had trouble conceiving, yet in a normal pregnancy your progesterone increases, in all of mine (6), my progesterone would start out normal, then decrease and i needed to be on suppositories.i tire out so easily, im depressed for no reason, i wonder if i was mis-diagnosed for hypothyroid disease? any advice?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
How long have you been on thyroid meds.?  It takes time even a few years for symptoms to totally subside.

I have a few of the symptoms that you listed, such as depression, hair growth, and tired.  I am hyper for 9 years now and I believe that some of the symptoms just come with the thyroid territory.  Your other symptoms can be from many different health issues. Once you have eliminated thyroid disease then you can move on to other health issues as possible cause.

Also have you thought of taking antidepressants for depression and vitamin supplements for tiredness or have your iron checked out, maybe you are low. Male hair growth and acne might be genetic.

We cannot, we should not, blame everything on thyroid disease even though thyroid can be a very complex disease.

Again Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
i was just tested for thyroid, all tests came back normal, but i'm on synthroid. yet my hair is falling out in handfulls! too many other symptoms too, like always tired, depressed, male hair growth, acne, etc... with positive titers, ana , speckled pattern, etc... i dont know what's wrong with me?
Helpful - 0
If you feel that you were mis-diagnosed for hypothyroid disease, then why not get retested with TSH, FT-4, FT-3 and full antibodies. I believe there are possible a total of 5 antibodies for hypo and hyper.  And get copies of the test results with the Lab ranges.  This way you will know for yourself. If the test comes out negative for thyroid disease then you can move on to another possible health issue as possible cause.

Good Luck!

Helpful - 0
There is not actually a specific test for Lupus. It is diagnosed by a group of tests, symptoms, and clinical history. Check out these links. I like the UK site for Lupus better than the US site because it is easier to use.
http://www.uklupus.co.uk/dxlupus.html
http://www.uklupus.co.uk/tests.html
http://www.uklupus.co.uk/symplist.html
There are a lot of other autoimmune diseases that are similar to Lupus, and some even overlap. As far as being mis-diagnosed with thyroid disease, it is unlikely to get a false test result. However, in autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's), your levels may go up and down, and you can go back and forth between hyper, and hypo. Thyroid problems can cause depression, but so can a lot of other health problems. When was the last time you had your levels checked?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.