Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

caffeine poisoning induced headaches

I believe a restaurant gave me about 100 times the amount of tea leaves they should have in a pot of tea yesterday afternoon.  I immediately had stomach pains, severe, and headaches, and anxiety.  This was about 4 p.m. yesterday.  My headaches got progressively worse through last night and all night.  It is now almost noon the following day, and I still have headaches.  What can be done?  Have you ever heard of caffeine poisoning?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
What is your pulse rate right now?  A pulse rate would be one of the symptoms of too much caffeine, but it should be out of your system by now. Tea has less caffeine than coffee and I've never had effects that stayed with me that long even with expresso! I suspect there was something else in that tea besides tea leaves. Go back to the restaurant and ask to see what kind of tea they use. Another possibility is maybe there was something in the food you ate...an allergy reaction?
Helpful - 0
144586 tn?1284666164
Some of the oriental medicinal teas floating around have foxglove mixed in. Foxglove is a dangerous substance. It would acount for your symptoms.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the comments.  I am feeling better now, 24 hours later.  Caffeine levels are elevated the longer the leaves are brewed, so perhaps that contributed.  Also, every person's body has some variations, such as medications I may be taking, my weight, etc.  I've talked with some doctors since posting earlier, and I guess I will survive.  That waitress really did put A LOT of tea leaves in that pot.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.