Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Dizziness, Nasuea, left side of face tingling, neck pain

For close to a year, I have had a stong pain in the left side of my neck that runs from my shoulder blade, to behind my ear.  After this starts, I feel pins and needles in my neck, cheek, temple, and forhead, again all on the left side.  I have been to my PCP who perscribed meclizine (no help), had an ultra sound of my coratid artery done (ok) sent me to a ENT, a neurologist, a rhuematologist, (all of which seriously did nothing) a new nueuro. who sent me for an test where they put water in my ears trying to make me dizzy, (borderline)but no one can tell me anything.  
All I know is it scares me.  When this pain starts and I get dizzy, it feels overwhelming, like something bad is happening.  A few times I have had the world go black.  Often if I sit, it keeps me from falling.  THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!!!!  My PCP keeps telling me medicine doesn't fix everything...but I really wonder if I am having little strokes and it scares the hell out of me!  
Any suggestions from anyone!  I am trying to find a new dr. now, after the comment above, but hate just picking a stranger or being referred to someone out of the blue.  
In this amount of time, it feels like they get worse as time goes.
By the way, I am 51, not in menapause yet, have lots of thyroid symptoms, but test is fine, overweight and can't loose on 1100 calorie diet, and very concerned.  Any help would be apprecitated.
18 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Please stop listening to all these people ragging on about menopause.  For crying out loud that is the stock answer for everything when a woman gets ill.  You know we really can get sick.  Listen to your heart and again, look up Eagle's syndrome.  I had to listen to the doctor last year act if it all was in my head.  To finally have him apologize and say
"Yep, you do have something" was such a relief.

Violet
Helpful - 0
I have been suffering with all of this for over a year.  Had an MRI when it first started and a CT scan.  It got worse so I just had another MRI and they diagnosed what caused the problem.  It is called Eagle's Syndrom.  It is supposedly very rare BUT there are so many people suffering with the same symptoms I don't believe it is rare, it is just under diagnosed.  Please read up on it and see if it fits.

Hope this helps,
CW
Helpful - 0
Just a thought.  I have been having same type of symtoms for over a year, also on left side. After many tests and doctors visits, I finally went to an orhtopedic doc. who ordered an MRI of shoulder.  Turns out I have Tendonitis agrivated by shoulder impingement syndrome.  If you want more info. on it look up shoulder impingement syndrone on the web.  I have pain from neck down shoulder, arm into hands, chest.  Has anyone questioned possible pinched nerve?
Helpful - 0
You're not crazy at all. My aunt (who is a nurse) had thyroid problems that she knew were absolutely thyroid problems for more than 10 years. Her levels were always "normal", and they refused to medicate her. In the meantime, she had to be miserable and ill until the levels finally nudged a little in the wrong direction and they finally prescribed hormones for her. Then she was fine. She was extremely outraged though. (we have a history of thyroid disease in the family too, and it was like they couldn't even consider that!)

I've had the shoulder neck arm problem too. It was awful. I felt like I was buzzing and disconnected and about to vomit. It was some nerve getting irritated and swelling up and pinching off slightly. I initially went to a regular doctor who prescribed an anti-inflammatory something (this was many years ago), and then steroids, which did not completely help. So it was suggested I go to a chiropractor, which I did, and neck adjustments helped a lot. Hurt miserably in the beginning, but ultimately was the only thing that really helped.

That and trying to remember to get up and stretch and rotate my neck and joints as often as possible. It was all the time I spent on the computer for my job then. Since then I've downsized to part-time, and now to periodically just not working, and trying to stay off the computer and get more exercise when possible, and paying attention to my posture when I am on the computer or doing my hobbies so that I'm not crunching and hunching.
Helpful - 0
Thanks to everyone for your helpful words and ideas.  Especially those of you that really seem like you have a desire to help someone in question.  Have a good week.
Helpful - 0
No problems here Demiguise,

I don't drink coffee so decaf really isn't needed, by the way it wasn't your comments of the 8th of the 8th I was alluding to.

Oestrogen or lack of it has nothing to do with it, I suggest you are more careful with your 'semi-pseudo doctor in the house' attitude and use this as the patient to patient forum that it is.

No harm done.

Jane.

Helpful - 0
Humm, comments are unusual for what I have seen here.

First, since I am having a period as I sit here, menopause doesn't sound like an issue. Could I be working that way, well at 51 it sounds real likely!!!!!  According to my dr, hormone tests, etc., NO.

I said that I was told by a number of people that THEY were dizzy during menopause the whole time and when I complained of dizziness, they just assume that is what it is.

Next, I am overweight, on 1100 a day diet, yes I log and count everything and walk, and not loosing.  I have a huge list of "symptoms" of thyroid problems, & many test results in the tyroid section, but I keep testing "normal." Lots of people are voting my anemia is mirroring some of those symptoms, which I am reading up on....hence WHY I came to this sight!

My PCP is the one that made the comment about age...that is why I am looking for a new dr.

As for FSH/LH and therapy.  I'll research and find out what those are as well as a C-Spine MRI.  

Denial or exaggerating, neither.  I fully recognize that I have a number of things going on that are NOT being taken care of by the medical people in my life.  It is that alone that drove me to internet to research different symptoms so I don't just fall over because of medical people that are uncaring, to rushed, or just plain don't give a damn.  Frankly speaking, or with bad bedside manner like some people that post.

As for an exaggeration, why would ANYONE not only subject themself to the testing, etc. with hopes of finding an answer for problems that are severe enough that they change your actions or behaviors or go totally open by posting EVERYTHING about themself on a site open to the world, in hopes of having ONE person write something that makes sense; or one person being able to say they are experiencing something that is the same that HAS been diagnosed.

People that like to just get on websites to put down others and be rude have a pile of issues themself.  If you are a dr, plan on loosing patients.

Helpful - 0
Not a Dr & I was trying to get you to think more. I know
physiology (what connects to what) to make response occur. You
sounded like 'I'm just dizzy' & it seems to match menopause so
I'll live w/ it. Now that you're angry, you've decided to do
more. That's what my comment was abt. As far as the FSH/LH, they
are blood tests that are on your ofc lab-wk. Get a copy. The
measured hormones don't lie. If you were peri-menopause the test
would say that. You need a new Dr. 'NO' Dr. is to put a patient
any lower than 1200 a day & w/ your other problems, 1100 or
less will do you more harm. You have something more going on.
If you re-read your orig. post, it clearly sounds like it's
not a menopause problem & you are asking for help w/ pain too.
We get alot of made up stuff here & still reply. We waste our
time to help. I read a serious problem & replied. Have some tea
& relax.

Helpful - 0
I have been dealing with this dizziness since 2002-03, many of the thyroid type signs since long before that.  I have had so many tests it is embarrasing and even worse, the look the dr gets on his face when I am there because I can tell he doesn't believe anything I am saying since the tests keep coming back ok.

How I feel is VERY REAL.  Angry yes, angry at health care.  Angry at people that pre-judge.  Angry at the fact that the quality of my life is steadily going down-hill and I come here looking for any glimpse of hope.  

Please do not credit yourself with my anger nor it starting my search on how to fix how I feel.  

I can imagine that there are a number of people that come on to this site and post "pranks."  I am NOT one of those people.  

I will check into the tests you mentioned, just as I have EVERY OTHER SUGGESTION GIVEN!  

As for tea, I don't want the caffiene.
Helpful - 0
You both need some decaf. Re-read my 8/8 post. If that sounds
like bashing & not attempt to help, then you folks do have
real problems. You're right, someones estrogen needs an
adjustment. You have mis-interpreted help. I wish you well.
Helpful - 0
Demiguise

How can anyone be in denial of symptoms, regardless of what the final outcome is? This forum is as the name suggests Undiagnosed Symptoms, and people who write in here are normally using this forum to try and get some tiny hint to what they are suffering from, however small, I don't know if you ever suffered from an unknown illness, something that kept showing up normal results, until you thought you were going loopy, but I did, and when I was finally diagnosed the illness didn't seem so bad, because I could at last see that I wasn't imagining it. Also unless you are a medical professional less of the 'nots' and more of the 'maybe's' please!

Nancy

As you know, you may not be going through the menopause yet, I was just throwing out some ideas related to some of your symptoms, and I know you will look into anything that relates in order to find an answer.  I am just an ordinary person but I strongly believe in being empowered with your own health - the web has helped me in many ways, for information, for questions and for well being.

Keep asking questions.

J.

Helpful - 0
What you have just posted along w/ all the conditions sounds
like you need a FSH/LH test & some therapy. You said you were
'not' menapausal & now your dizzy from that? Left neck pain/
to shoulder blade to pain behind ear has nothing to do w/
menapause or blackouts. Your neck/cheek/temple/forehd pins are
not hormone induced. If that were true, it would be bilateral
or top of head. Maybe you're over-wt & the lo diet is throwing
posture off & you need a C-spine mri to ck. alignment? All the
tests = probably just getting older? What's that about? Yes,
you may be peri-menapause like previous post, but you're either
in denial or exaggerated greatly. Gd-luck.
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much.  I have had others tell me that they were dizzy the whole way through menopause.  Geez, being young was easier!  It is really nice to know that there are so many people willing to take time to write ideas and comments!  Thanks for all the support!  Nancy
Helpful - 0
Hi Nancy

Just another couple of thoughts and probably not much help - but could you be starting perimenopause - one of the symptoms is electric shock like feelings in the head and dizzyness?

also I get migraines that give me numbness, pins and needles sensations, with nausea and they are bloody frightening.
Sometimes my migraines started with a pain in my neck and the main artery looked like it was swollen.  

Neurological examinations should rule out mini strokes and believe me some migraines feel like a stroke, it is disturbing but I have found that if I stifled the urge to panic too much, the effects weren't as bad.

Hope you can find a solution fine, I know half the battle is finding out what is wrong!

all the best
J
Helpful - 0
My want to check pressure fluid in brain by a spinal tap. I have same symptoms off and on since I was 11. Found out that My pressure in my brain from excess fluid is too high. The call it Psuedotumor Cebri.
Helpful - 0
have you tried massage therapy? sometimes you can injure your neck and not know it and you could have trigger points or micro tears that are causing this
good luck
Helpful - 0
Hi.  The ENT did nothing much at all.  Actually referred me to a neurologist that in turn ordered an ENG.  That is the only test done and results were borderline.  

LONG ago, someone talked about it sounding like a disk problem, but then never did a thing.

Thanks for the help.  I know my current PCP won't make changes.  I have scheduled an appointment with a different dr. Wish me luck.
Helpful - 0
Sounds like you should definitely have a Cervical Spine MRI.
Ask if present doc can do an order. Would be faster & then you'd
know if any disk compression is going on. Sounds like something
w/ the occipitals. Can't remember, did ENT do a Coronal CT to
rule out any left sinus problem? Get copies of all for a home-
file. Neck disks can cause pinching off of tranfer to face
causing numing/tingling.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.