Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Swollen/ Painfull Lyphnodes

I am 30 and have never had any health concerns until recently.  I have been experiencing numerous painfull swollen lymphnodes with external redness in various areas. The nodes stay enlarged after the the pain and swelling subsides and this has been happening for aproximately 6 months.  My sibling and Grandfather both had cancer so I have been concerned.  After a bloodtest and ultrasound came back normal my PCP referred me to a surgeon.  The surgeon said the swelling is probably due to an infection and she did not feel a biopsy was necessary however could not pin point a cause of infection.  She basically told me not to be concerned and to comeback if the lymphnodes became larger than an inch in diameter.  Is this an answer I should feel comfortable with and drop it or is it normal to still be concerned and want further explanation?  Thank You.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi
Your comments on your problem were most like what my daughter is experiencing.  Along with what is obvious tonsilittis and swollen nodes in her neck, she has swollen, painfull nodes under both arms.  There is also slight red streaking in the area.  She was put on a antibiotic but we were told the two issues (tonsills and underarm nodes) are not related.  That's what I'm not convinced of after seeing the condition of the tonsills.  Just wondering if you had any response to your problem from this website.  Good luck
Helpful - 0
First of all, where are the swollen lymph nodes? Second of all, where is the external redness? Swollen lymph nodes do indeed suggest that your body is fighting an infection- Herpes is a huge one that causes very similar symptoms. It is very possible to have had herpes for a very long time and never know it as herpes is a virus that lies dormant on the nerve endings in your spinal cord. Herpes can be dormant for years and years and even a life time. Everyone's body responds differently to the virus and it depends upon what triggered it to express itself finally. A million things can trigger herpes to affect you externally, i.e. stress, depression, genital friction, tiredness, eating unhealthy foods, etc...
Has the redness caused any type of pimple-looking sores to appear...anywhere on your body? If the swollen lymph nodes are in the groin area, it most likely is herpes. Do you have a tingling sensation in your groin or buttock's area? Have you gotten weak/tired legs at all while you've had the swollen lymph nodes? Have you had a fever since?

Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
if you're still worried, a second opinion would at least put your mind at rest!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.