Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What Could Cause My Hyperreflexia?

Hi,

I am new here and this is my first post!
I was diagnosed with Hyperreflexia about a year ago, and to be honest I did nothing about it. I got an MRI of my brain at the time, and then was supposed to go back and get an MRI of my neck, but never did.  I would have, but my mom wouldn't drive me (long story, I had a Grand Mal Seizure a year ago, so I had to surrender my license for a year:().

I looked on the internet and they said that most Hyperreflexia is caused by a spinal cord injury.  Now, the only spinal cord injury that I've ever had was when I  hurt my head and neck when I was 4 years old and fell off a high bed.  What else is there that could cause the Hyperreflexia?  I'm taking medications for depression, but I don't think that's it because I've been taking them for years.

So anyway, what could be causing my Hyperreflexia?  Should I go back to my doctor and get the neck MRI done?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Licorice1977
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
398942 tn?1201253379
Hyperreflexia can easily be caused by Medications. Especially medicines that are a SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) which can cause Seratonin Syndrome. Also, Spinal Compression around the T6 Thoracic region can cause Brisk Reflexes and hypertension with profuse sweating. (AKA Hyperreflexia)

Last but not least, certain Diseases Like Biliary Cirrhosis and Charcot Marie Tooth disease can contribute to HR!

Make sure your Doctor rules out each cause. You can't successfully treat an illness with an incorrect diagnosis! Be persistent..What you don't know CAN hurt you.

I wish you well

Sean
Helpful - 0
Heya, Ive got hyperreflexia aswell, and have had an MRI of the spine, everyone feels very reluctant to follow up my results though. I was put on amitriptilin as it has slight sedative properties, also hyperreflexia can be stess related also. however the amitriplilyn didnt work atall, and so ive tried a few things since then to help with the spasms i get. recently out of despiration i tried 10mg of diazepam, this was purely as the spasms were throwin me about the place. but since taking diazepam i have not yet had one spasm, 3 days later! i know hyperreflexia is a rare condition so finding treatments and causes are hard aswell. maybe theres a few more causes not yet revealed?
Helpful - 0
Hi, I found this website on Hyperreflexia. It also lists causes and that medication CAN be a cause. Hope it helps!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001431.htm
Helpful - 0
I would get the MRI done.Hyperflexia is usually spinal tract problem.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.