Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Whats wrong with me????????

Hi everyone!! I have a few questions about some problems I am having that I am hoping someone can answer. So, here I go.... I havent had my period in 3 months and I have taken several tests, all negative. I read somewhere that that is normal for some women and it is nothing to worry about unless you have discharge. Well, I do. I have had a yellow discharge for a few years now. I have to wear panty liners 24/7 due to the flowage. I hate it!!!  I went to a dr who told me its probably nothing more then a yeast infection and gave me cream to insert inside me. I did that but it didnt help. I also have itching " down there" about every few weeks I have an outbreak. It itches really bad!! My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years now and just cant seem to do it. I am worried there is something wrong with me, I already have 1 child ( not by him) She is 5. I am 23 by the way. I also have horrible lower back pain and every now and then I get sharp lower stomach pains. I dont know if any of this is related or not but all of it is driving me nuts!! Last year, I went 5 months with no period!! I am so shy, I dont want to go back to the dr. Plus, they never help anyway. I am really hoping someone can help me!! I appreciate any and all advice I can get!! Thanks so much!!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This is a bit personal, but do you smell differently within a day or so after having sex (a strong fishy smell) as opposed to when you haven't had sex for a while?  You might want to get checked for bacterial vaginosis.  I had that and I had your symptoms, except for the loss of period.  I went on antibiotics and started using condoms (to avoid pH imbalances and irritation), and things are wonderful now.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/bv/STDFact-Bacterial-Vaginosis.htm
Helpful - 0
Hi!! Thanks gingerginger!! yes, actually I do. It lasts a day or 2. I have always wondered why. I just thought that was the way he smells and it just stayed with me. lol  So you think I might have bacterial vaginosis?? What is that?? Is it serious?? I guess I should go to the dr, I just really hate going. Thanks for your input!! I really appreciate it!!
Helpful - 0
BV itself isn't too serious, but if you're pregnant or you have it for a long time then you could have complications or secondary infections.  It's actually more common than yeast infections, and while I always just thought I had chronic urinary tract infections and yeast infections, it turned out to be BV that was causing everything to go out of whack.  BV is easily diagnosed by the "whiff" test.  It's as gross as it sounds.  When the BV bacteria are present and mixed with a base (NaOH in the lab, semen in the body) then the bacteria put off a really strong odor.  The proper antibiotics should cure it no problem, but to keep it away you should make sure to keep the pH of that area as acidic as possible.  Be sure to avoid harsh soap.

Anyway BV sounds like it could be what you have, but obviously I'm not a doctor so you really need to go to a doctor to get it checked out.  Once you get everything fixed you'll be happy that you did.  Let us know how it turns out.
Helpful - 0
Oops, a small correction--the whiff test is done with KOH in the lab.  
Also, just a little extra information, a healthy vagina pH is 3.8-4.2, while the pH of semen is 7.2-8.0.  As you can see, semen can really throw the vaginal pH into the favor of bacterial and fungal growth.  There are some prescription and over-the-counter acid gels that you can use to keep the vagina acidic to prevent yeast and bacterial infections.
Helpful - 0
wow..... thanks sooo much!! I will definitely check into that. I am really glad I found this site. I have wondered for years what might be the possible cause of all of this and hopefully thats what it is, and not something worse. I will keep ya posted!! Thanks again!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.