Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

extreme physical sensitivity to the sun and heat

In 2004 I moved from Me. to Asheville, NC. Last yr. & especially bad this yr. the heat saps all of my energy, leaving me listless, nauseous, dizzy, I shake & get extremely exhausted and aggravated cause I need to go out and get to appts.(I have to turn around and go home cause I just can't make it to them-not enough energy). Please help me it's affecting my work(it's close enough to walk to(8-9 blocks) and I can't cause I don't have enough energy after being outside). As soon as it starts to cool down I'm fine. I don't have problems with any other season. I'm not sure if this makes a difference but in 2002 I had a serious case of heat stroke to the point of amnesia for 3 days. Please these physical symptoms are so bad it's causing me to stay home all during the day..I don't feel like I have a life in the Summer and can't enjoy the beautiful weather.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Sun and heat intolerance was started.
Helpful - 0
I HAD TWO SEVERE HEAT STROKES WHILE WORKING FOR THE POST OFFICE IN AUGUST OF 2007. SINCE THEN I AM EXTREMELY SENSITIVE TO SUN AND HEAT. I LIVE IN TEXAS AND CANNOT GO OUTSIDE IN THE SUMMERTIME. I'M IN THE HOUSE 24/7 AND I HAVE 3 KIDS. I CANNOT WORK MUCH LESS GO TO THE CORNER STORE DUE TO THE TEXAS HEAT. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HYPOTHALAMIC DEREGULATION AND CANNOT GO OUT IN TEMPS GREATER THAN 78 DEGREES WITH NO SUNLIGHT. NOW THE DRS. AREN'T SO SURE OF THE DIAGNOSIS AND WANT TO CHECK MY AUTUNOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVISE FOR ME?  
Helpful - 0
Hi Cherican, Sorry about your symptoms. I have felt this way too but I was on a diaretic (water pill) which is known to cause sensitivity to the sun / heat. When I came off the diaretic, I felt much better while out in the sun. I gained a bunch of stamina back as well. I don't know if you are on this type of med or not but I think the drug was causing me to be dehydrated. So, whether or not you are on this type of drug, you really do need to stay hydrated as pointed out before. Hope this helps!
Helpful - 0
I'm not a doctor or health care professional.  Just an average joe.  I can just give you some ideas to speak with your doctor about, as I, too, have issues with heat intolerance.  Possible causes of heat intolerance, based on my research:

thyroid problems
parathyroid problems
hormone imbalance and/or menopause
neurological disorders
diabetes
sweating disorders

These are just some of the possibilities.  I am currently being evaluated for the heat intolerance, plus a number of other issues.  I highly recommend that you see a doctor ASAP to be screened appropriately for whatever may be causing your symptoms.  I live in an area of the country where it is routinely 100 degrees in the summer, and it's tough not being able to go outside.  I am being seen by a neurologist and an endocrinologist, after being referred by my primary care doctor.  We're going on 3 months now with no clear answers, but I am definitely hoping we'll know something soon.  What should you do?  See a doctor. ASAP. Only a doctor will be able to help you determine the cause, and possible treatment.  Or, at least be able to refer you to a doctor who can help you based on your health history.  I don't think self-diagnosis is the answer for you, see a doctor. KEEP IN MIND - this particular form "undiagnosed symptoms" is not moderated by a physician. I hope this is helpful to you.  I wish you luck in figuring out your issue.  Know that you are not alone.
Helpful - 0
My friend had heat stroke when she was 19 and passed out, she's been sensitive to the sun/heat ever since and gets sick as you described (& passed out a few more times). Do you have any autoimmune problems or symptoms? Autoimmunity (among other things) can make us a lot more light & heat sensitive. How are you abuot staying hydrated? (Make sure nothing you are drinking has artificial sweetners in it like Aspartame or Succrolose, that are often added to sports drinks and water.)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.