Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
125112 tn?1217273862

Health Anxiety (or anxiety in general) your experience?

I've been wondering who experiences this and what do you think sparked it, symptoms?

The reason that I am asking is, that yes-being responsible, I need to look further into physical problems that I have been having. If they come back clear...then I must sit down and consider dealing with possibly anxiety.

I do know that stress can make health issues worse, if not create them.
Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to blame everything on stress or anxiety and yet by the same token, refuse to think that stress/anxiety isn't either causing or making matters worse.

Your thoughts, your "story"?
If you've suffered from Health Anxiety, what has helped you gain a rightful "balance."?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've considered myself to be an anxious person generally over most of my life.  Have a number of physical symptoms which cannot really be explained, other than I have a visceral sensitivity, meaning I feel nausea or burning when I really shouldn't.  This hypersensitivity issue may have been brought on by anxiety somewhat, but I do know one thing, it definately makes the problem worse.

Not sure if all my health problems are anxiety related or if I am just predisposed to such problems.
Helpful - 0
I believe 100% that alot of my physical problems have been caused by constant stress and anxiety.  The problem is/was that I didn't KNOW that I was so stressed b/c my body had just gotten used to living in that mode so it seemed normal to me.  Do I think that it could cause my fibromyalgia - absolutely...bipolar disorder - maybe epilepsy - sure, cancer - yep!  Do I think that i will have to continue to take meds for some of these problems once my cancer issues are in the background?  I am waiting to see - but I believe that stress truly does affect your health in physical and mental ways.  I know that what seemed to help me more than anything with physical pain that I felt (didn't take it away) was seeing a psychotherapist.  I have issues with childhood molestation and issues with relationships - date rape, etc.  I believe that all these things contributed to how my health has been as an adult.  I truly believe in the mind/body connection.
I also have to say that the last few years of medical issues have made me very anxious and have had a couple of panic attacks - mainly from KNOWING that there was something physical going on although MD's told me there wasn't.  The stress from all this just about did me in.  I have to say that most of us on this undiganosed forum most likely have, at some time, experienced stress and anxiety from KNOWING that something is wrong and having no one in the medical field to validate it.
Just my piece of the pie.......;.)
Helpful - 0
125112 tn?1217273862
I've been learning about myself and anxiety/depression. I know I've suffered both (suspected it many years ago but was in denial) and as of late, with recent physical problems...brought them both "out of the closet" and think they've made matters worse and possibly added to or perhaps created my current problems.
At this point, I am not confident in saying that anxiety(highlights of it) and depression (root) are my only problem.
I think it's irresponsible to consider only one source and leave it at that.  
I'm working on figuring things out (through posting on this site-thank goodness for it!) and will be taking all information to my new doctor who works in the same clinic (only one we have) as my last doctor.
He has access to all my records, so that makes it a plus. I do feel much better with him, than my previous female doctor.

Charley, you are dead on in regards to the mind/body connection. Without a doubt! What troubles your mind, will affect your body and what troubles your body, affects your mind.

As for psychotherapy. I am for it (provided I have a good impression of him/her-I'm pretty "instinctual"), however-doubt our mental health professionals (small town, on an island.) My husband is a Police Sergeant and I've asked his opinion of them (he has his sources) and he...is not impressed. Private information here (medical etc.) tends to "leak" too. Not much for confidence on my part.

The one good thing that has come from all this: I have become a considerably more compassionate person towards others on account of my experiences.
I think I truly "see" people now. In the past, I was a Pharmacist Technician and on account of it, this did put me "in touch" with people but I remember silently questioning and doubting some patients. Being in a clinical setting, I had full access to their ambulatory records. I'm sure I was right on a few but now, realize that I was probably wrong with many.

Too, I come from a religious background. I used to think ill of this world (and yes, still do) but instead of seeing only the bad, I see the good now... and the weak who need a hand (not condemnation!). I pray for mercy. We need it!

Because of all this, I would like to begin an outreach program for this community and any community I reside in hereafter (but need to get my "affairs" in order first.)
This world is so full of condemnation and...so short on compassion. Yet, we all walk the same green earth, have our "battles" and all bleed. Don't we. The common denominator.
I intend to work with our elderly, too in our "long term" care. After talking to me, my new doctor would like to see me get on the hospital/long term board.

So, despite my angst with this past year and problems, good has come of it. Despite the outcome (and I pray that it will be okay)...I will end my life on a good note! That can't be taken away from me...that, I'll fight for. ;-)

I intend to post to the mental health forum (trying to gather information and share my experience) but have to first compose my letter (with questions to the Dr. there) and hope that you both will share your experience.

Thank you both for responding. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
~Kate

Helpful - 0
125112 tn?1217273862
This was meant for you both but "comment to" - the board only included one name.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.