Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

alcohol reaction

Is it possible to have a hypoglycemic, or diebetic reaction from consuming alcohol before falling asleep.  I have, in the last few years had the same experience a few times.  I would go to dinner and have probably two to three drinks during the course of the evening.  When I get home and go to bed, I fall asleep, but about two hours later I wake up with my heart racing, cold sweats, and tingling in my hands and arms.  The first time this happened I passed out when I went to stand up, an ambulance was called, but after all kinds of test, nothing came back with an answer.  My husband said that he can smell a sweet odor from my breath, and that was the few times it happened.  I usually do not eat food high in sugar, and will not continue to have alcohol after this last episode, but I am concerned that it may be a symptom of something that has to do with my sugar and insulin levels, and possible a warning of some kind.  Have you ever heard of anything like this,?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
That is pretty funny, and maybe true, it could be boredom while running sometimes.  I don't get that high until I am done, maybe I need headphones.  Thank-you for the reply, and I will pursue the test further if it happens again.  In the meantime, I will watch my intake of carbs carefully.
I appreciate your response, learned alot from some of the info I looked up.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your reply.  I actually did have a thyroid test last year due to eye lash loss and poor ability to sleep, and weight gain.  
I do exercise regularly, and have a healthy diet, so my Dr. was puzzled also.
The thing that really scares me a bit is the sweet smelling breath that preludes my reaction each time it has happene.  It has not happened often because I usually don't have sugar, and alcohol.  The other thing that was making me think that perhaps you have a point with the ketoacidosis, is that when I begin to do a speed walk or run, halfway through I get this feeling like I want to close my eyes and go to sleep, like my steam runs out fast.  Could this also be due to a drop in glucose in the blood?
What kind of test do you recommmend  I go for to find out about this.
thank you so much
Helpful - 0
If this only happens when consuming sweets and alcohol and you don't consume these very often I don't think you have a problem.
Wanting to fall asleep during running or speed walking sounds like boredom to me.  I usually get a natural high.
If your steam runs out fast sounds like you might be over doing it a bit.
However if you want to take the time and money then I suggest the following:

ketoacidosis is severe ketosis causing the pH of the blood to drop below 7.2, this can be checked by a doctor through urinalysis test. Or Ketosis can be checked by using special urine test strips which measure the level of ketones in the urine which you can obtained at local drug store.
Blood Glucose test for diabetes by doctor will get you started.  It can tell if you are hyper or hypo-glycemic which hypo is diabetes and doctor will probably want further test done to verify and confirm.  Or you can buy a Blood Glucose machine and strips at the drug store and test yourself by a ***** to draw blood.
If positive then you will need to go to doctor, if not, then back to the drawing board!

Good Luck

GL

Helpful - 0
Does this still happen when you don't drink?

With thyroid disorders many of us have problems with sleep.  We get to sleep alright but wake up after an hour or two and stay awake.  I've had  heart racing and tingling in my hands and arms.  But I never have passed out, came close a few time due to sock from a few injuries.

Diabetes has fruity or sweet chemical smell with ketoacidosis, however my husband had an acuity ammonia smell.  
A fruity odor to the breath occurs as the body attempts to get rid of excess acetone through the breathing. This is a characteristic sign of ketoacidosis, which may occur in diabetes, and is a potentially life-threatening condition. Diabetic ketoacidosis is a complication of diabetes caused by the buildup of by-products of fat metabolism (ketones), which occurs when glucose is not available as a fuel source for the body.  Symptoms of type 2/adult diabetes are: Increased thirst, Increased urination, Increased appetite, Fatigue, Blurred vision and  Slow-healing infections.  
Maintaining an ideal body weight and an active lifestyle may prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes

Go to the emergency room or call the local emergency number (such as 911) if symptoms of ketoacidosis occur:
Increased thirst and urination, Nausea, Deep and rapid breathing,  Abdominal pain, Sweet-smelling breath  or
loss of consciousness.

You should have your doctor check this out if it persists before any of the above occurs.It doesn't sound like a casual alcohol problem, but I could be wrong.  Perhaps others have more of an insight for you.

Good Luck.

GL
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.