Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
159785 tn?1276226025

Ongoing symptoms of chest pressure, PVCs, racing heart, flushing, and more.

Since this summer, I have been troubled by intermittent spells of extreme flushing and sweating, nausea, rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing, weakness, chest pressure, and increased PVC's. These episodes last up to 30 minutes. I was diagnosed with benign PVC's in 2001 (470+ in 24 hrs), no reason discovered, but a treadmill test w/ultrasound was normal. I take propranolol 10 mg 1 q d for this, since bid makes me too tired. These spells have become more frequent in the last four or five months (1-2 times a week), and tend to happen without warning at any time during the day. My blood pressure apparntly goes up during these events, from a normal of around 112/64 to 141/85 last time (I work at a doctor's office & the last episode was at work). On a normal day I often have a feeling of substernal pressure, and feel I'm not getting enough oxygen sometimes. The PVC's have increased in frequency in the last month or two. My doctor said he thought it is all stress-related, and prescribed Xanax to be taken when it happens. I don't agree with this, since, though I am under some stress, it happens at non-stressful, unexpected times (when walking back into the office after lunch, while taking a shower, while watching TV, shopping at the grocery, etc). Additional problems I have are occasional abdominal pain (dx'd as "IBS"), occasional constipation, and orthostatic hypotension.
I'm really worried that this could be a dangerous situation, and hope to get some advice as to what to do next, since I don't feel that the problem has being effectively addressed yet.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Pum
Does the Xanax work ie does it make the symptoms go away?  If so it is likely it is stress.  Stress is a funny thing and doesn't always result in feeling/symptoms when you think it might.  For example you might have a stressful time with exams or a break-up or a bereavement and be relatively fine but then get hit with major panic symptoms weeks or months later sort of when your brain/body is trying to deal with the issues.  If your coping mechanisms are not ideal (denial works for only so long) these things can strike.

Do you get headaches? there is an adrenal gland tumor that causes some of the symptoms you have (it is rare).

Good luck.
Helpful - 0
159785 tn?1276226025
Guess I should mention that hormone levels, CBC, thyroid labs are all normal.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.