Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

side effects of anesthesia

just wondering if anesthesia could cause an autoimmune disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or anything like that. The doctors are having an ANA test done on me and I was just wondering. I have so many symptoms since my surgery that I won't go into again. (I have a couple of other posts on this forum and another one) I found something about drug-induced lupus and wondered if it could come from the anesthesia. I never went to Doctors much before my hysterectomy and don't know a lot about "stuff" like that. I have read many posts on here and you all seem very well educated in many fields. So just wondering if you had any ideas about the ANA testing...Thanks.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Did you get your medical records from the surgery?  Your answers could be there.  Some symptoms present and they don't have to tell you.  I am currently waiting my results, I had surgery and had an allergic reaction also bronchiospasm.  There are tests for lupus and autoimmune disease, the type of person you could go to that can treat everything in adults is an Internal Medicine or Internist.(not Intern)
Helpful - 0
The hysterectomy could have triggered the problems.  (As could menopause in a susceptable person).  With the changes in hormones, illnesses sensitive to it can trigger, and many or most of the autoimmune illnesses can be sensitive.  i.e. Doesn't happen to everyone at menopause who is going to get an autoimmune condition, but it does happen for some.  Seeing a gyno and endocrinologist for HRT for other ideas might help.

To give one specific example I know is a friend's mom who complainted with her hysterectomy that something wasn't quite right ever again.  Some fatigue, but some specific muscle pain and weakness too.  Some years later it got bad enough to work hard on a diagnosis.  It turned out to be a rare condition (in the autoimmune family), that was sensitive to the hormone levels so she sense of not-quite-right post-hyst was correct.

There is a forum hystersisters.com (hope I spelled the right), for women with hysterecotomies.  Maybe you can find some sense of how it can happen there.  (Most of the site is about the procedure it's self, but there's a real mix of women who post.)

Hope that helps!
Helpful - 0
Have you been to a neurologist yet?
Helpful - 0
my surgery was in October 2005. Since then I have had many things go wrong. Stuttering, left arm, left leg and tongue going asleep or numb, blurred or double vision, can't concentrate, very forgettable, heart beats real fast, have since developed a thyroid problem, dizzy all the time. I have been to 14 doctors so far, and yesterday the regular Doctor wanted to run the ANA test and a test for Lyme disease. Thank you for responding. I keep reading the posts on these forums hoping to see if anyone else has had these things to happen to them so I won't be asking the same questions.
Helpful - 0
The hysterectomy could have triggered the problems.  (As could menopause in a susceptable person).  With the changes in hormones, illnesses sensitive to it can trigger, and many or most of the autoimmune illnesses can be sensitive.  i.e. Doesn't happen to everyone at menopause who is going to get an autoimmune condition, but it does happen for some.  Seeing a gyno and endocrinologist for HRT for other ideas might help.

To give one specific example I know is a friend's mom who complainted with her hysterectomy that something wasn't quite right ever again.  Some fatigue, but some specific muscle pain and weakness too.  Some years later it got bad enough to work hard on a diagnosis.  It turned out to be a rare condition (in the autoimmune family), that was sensitive to the hormone levels so she sense of not-quite-right post-hyst was correct.

There is a forum hystersisters.com (hope I spelled the right), for women with hysterecotomies.  Maybe you can find some sense of how it can happen there.  (Most of the site is about the procedure it's self, but there's a real mix of women who post.)

As far as the neurologist who laughed at you...laugh back at him!  He needs to here how ridiculous he sounds!

Hope that helps!
Helpful - 0
Thank you all so much for responding. I have seen 3 neurologists and don't plan on seeing any more. I too have the not-quite-right feeling since the surgery. I just want it to get better and hope it does. I have never been to so many Doctors before in my whole life. Maybe in time it will.
Helpful - 0
Drug induced Lupus is caused by specific drugs, and usually goes away soon after the drugs are stopped. I do not think that anenthesia could do it, but perhaps some of the oter meds you got with your surgery could be culprit. You should look them up individually. Autoimmune diseases (theoretically) can be set off by your immune system being overstimulated, and then not being able to shut off. This is most likely in people who were already at risk of developing an autoimmune disease. How long ago was your surgery?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.