Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Neutropenia in my 18 month old

My 18 month old daughter was diagnosed with neutropenia a year ago (congenital). It was discovered because she was hospitalized of eczema infection and had to have IV antibiotics at 6 months old. Since then she is on Neupogen. A few questions come to mind because she does not have any symptoms or complications related to Neutropenia other than her blood count. At through level she was at 500 on every other day of Neupogen, suddenly down to <150. They had adjusted her dose because probably she is growing and had to adjust it.

Question #1
1) Because she has neutropenia, does this mean she has cancer? It scares me every time I want to read about it because it is always often linked with some sort of cancer. They have been keeping a close eye on her but until to this day she has no other symptoms and bone marrow aspiration is normal but just not producing neutrophils.

2) What are the chances of her body making her own neutrophils?

3) Are there any support groups, information groups available that are related to this topic?

Thank you very much for any information you can send.

2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am a 30 year old who has Neutopenia.  It was discovered over ten years ago and the doctors I have seen seem to think it is probably something I have had since birth.  I had a bone marrow biopsy 3 years ago and the results were normal.  My count varies (at it's highest it is at 500 and lowest 130).  The bone marrow biopsy was the only way to rule out 100% that it wasn't Lukemia... I think the hematologist did the procedure to cya, because I did not have any other symptoms and he said he fully expected it to come back ok.  He also said that since I don't have chronic lung/respitatory infections that there really is nothing too wrong.  Those with neutropenia that have pnemonia or chronic broncitus are the ones who may have more going on.  I hope this helps... I am still looking for answers myself, but I thought something of my case may help.  Best of luck!
Helpful - 0
I do not know much about this condition, but I would suggest seeing a pediatric hematologist. Thak a written list of questions with you, and make sure you understand all the answers. Hopefully you will hear answers that are comforting, but in case you don't, it would be a good idea to take a friend with you in order to get more out of it. If the Dr. tells you things that are upsetting, it may be hard to listen carefully, and remember everything he says. A friend would give you someone to discuss it with later when you are feeling calmer. You'll be in my prayers, as I have a young daughter myself, and I understand how scary this must be.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.